Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Protege (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/)
-   -   Noise sounds like I cast a fishing line and reeling it back in (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/noise-sounds-like-i-cast-fishing-line-reeling-back-38297/)

Chromium Critter 05-24-2017 10:36 PM

Noise sounds like I cast a fishing line and reeling it back in

I had the timing belt and valve cover gasket replaced a little over 2 years ago. After that work was done, I drove another 39K miles, then started to hear a "spinning reel" or winding noise from the passenger side near the belts, only for a minute or two when I started the engine. About 2 weeks ago its become persistent, and I hear the same noise all the time, whether in neutral or in gear, tends to be a little louder in the morning when I first start the engine. A mechanic took a quick look under the hood and said when he pressed on the timing belt cover, it changed the pitch of the noise and thinks it could be a bad belt job. I called the original mechanic who did the work and he told me the warranty is for 24K miles or 2 years. Does that sound right? I thought timing belts were supposed to last 50K miles. The part was a Gates Timing Belt Kit TCK228. Thoughts?

grim_reaper 05-25-2017 06:38 AM

A lot of people don't replace the tensioner bearing or the idler bearing, it could be one of those playing up.

I would of thought 12 months 12,000 miles would be the mechanics warranty.

Chromium Critter 06-09-2017 09:32 AM

Timing belt tensioner bearing or the idler bearing

Thanks for your response. How long will those last before I have to get them tightened up? Any idea what a job like that will cost? I already sunk nearly $700 to get the new timing belt installed.:(

Also, anyone know what the dealer recommended replacement time/mileage is for the timing belt in a 2003 Protege LX 2.0L?

grim_reaper 06-10-2017 03:04 AM

Most likely the replacement period is 5yrs or 100,000kms ( 60,000 miles )

Have you been back to the garage who did the initial work? Maybe they can come to the party & discount the repair if they didn't replace these pulley bearings If they are in fact the cause of your issues.

To replace the tensioner pulley & idler pulley requires a full strip down of the cambelt.

I wouldn't put a time on their life, if they seize, then it could be pistons against valves.

Chromium Critter 06-14-2017 11:19 AM

Thanks again for responding. The last place I will take my car is back to the garage that did the faulty work. Those rip-off artists didn't bother telling me my spark plugs and ignition wires were toast - they were no doubt waiting for my car to break down so I would be forced to tow it back and give them another opportunity to rip me off for another $1000. When I take the car to a new mechanic, I'll have them confirm the first mechanic did faulty work and report it to every consumer agency that will make the complaint public.