Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

new guy, emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Default new guy, emission issue

have a 97 mazda protege 120,000 miles ,manual trans, 1.5L. had a p0505 code come up not long ago checked for vacuum leaks & found a faulty (IAC) idle air control valve then cleared the code after replacing the IAC & the check engine light is off. needs a inspection/emission sticker & I keep getting failed because of to many not ready/ incomplete codes. list of systems showing not ready. catalyst,egr,evaporative & o2 sensor. called the mazda service dept & they recommened to fill the gas tank & drive the car 40-50 miles @ 65 mph to reset all the drive cycles. have already put 150 miles on the car (4 & 2 lane driving)& still have the same systems not ready. could pcm be debating on a system posing a potiental fault code being set, causing the pcm not to complete the drive cycles?

TIA, Danny in western nc.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Default RE: new guy, emission issue

No.
Each drive cycle is a separate system check. If say the oxygen sensor was not operating correctly it could still run and pass the EGR, EVAP, and catalyst tests. It would then set a pending code for the oxygen sensor and wait for the driving condtions to be met in order to run the O2 sensor test again. If it passed this time then would pass the monitor and if not would turn on the CEL. There are four separate drive modes that need to be completed in order for each system to run its own self test. ( They do not entail filling your tank and driving on the freeway at 65 mph either[:@][:@] Your dealer should be able to provide a copy of the pages from the shop manual demonstrating what you need to do in order to run each drive mode.
Drive mode 1 for example is to warm engine to operating temperature and make sure all electrical loads are off. (ie heater fan, headlights, rear defroster, and A/C. Starting at an idle, raise the engine rpm to between 2300-2700 rpm and keep as absolutely steady as possible for more that 15 seconds, raise RPM further to between 3800-4200 rpm and again hold as steady as absolutely possilbe for more than 15 seconds. Allow engine to return to idle for more that 20 seconds making sure the electric cooling fan does not come on during the idle period. If everything was done correctly then you should have just passed the EGR drive cycle. Other 3 drive modes are similar. Ask your dealer for a copy of pages 01-01A-4, 01-01A-5, and 01-01A-6. All four drive modes are explained in detail on those 3 pages. The early Mazda OBDII systems were sometimes a bit touchy about running and passing drive cycles so just be paitient with them and follow the directions to the tee.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM

thanks for the reply & the good reading you posted, it finally passed & I got the emission sticker on it the other day. just took alot of driving & all the drive cycles finally completed themselves.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 PM

You are certainly welcome dannysmazda. Glad to hear that everything worked out as anticipated with no other problems developing to keep you from passing the I/M.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:06 AM

babyhuey how do you know about so many different models? how many have you owned and what is your current Mazda? I've seen you give info on 7s, miatas, MVPs, and Proteges as well as probably a few other things. I'd understand knowing everything aobut your own model but how do you know the whole MAzda family? are you in a MAzda Service Dpt. or what? Is it experience from owning several Mazdas? It bugs me so. You're like brilliant, and sorry to threadjack but this guy's problem was solved already.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:33 AM

Well babyhuey is a veteran service tech working for a Mazda Dealer. Thats why he knows so much about every model, he works on them every day!

Old 04-22-2006, 02:48 AM

Bkey is right. I do work on them every day. Have been working on Mazda cars/trucks at dealerships before the Miata or MPV even came out which was around late 80's. Given your age that you listed in the Off Topic area, that would mean that I have been working on Mazda cars for around 2 to 3 years before you were born. I do still remember the excitement about the intro of the Miata and performed the first PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) of the first that we received. That was really cool!! Now is more common place but none the less exciting. I am very much looking forward to the release of the CX7 and later CX9!!!
I have owned several Mazda cars in my time. 2 first gen 7's, an 89 323, 91 MX-6 turbo and our two current and only vehicles is my 91 323 which is my daily driver (bkey, I noticed your new signature and mine is same, But you have hubcaps?? Spoiled I tell you, Spoiled Rotten ) and the Fiances ride is a 92 MPV V6 4X4.