Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Protege (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/)
-   -   familia Wont Start (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/familia-wont-start-1348/)

limpy 10-12-2005 09:06 PM

familia Wont Start

I have a 2001 Mazda familia station wagon (1.5L) with 101768k on it
About 3 months ago I started experiencing some power loss, sputtering and hesitation. I went to the mech and he said it was the #4 coil pack gone bad so i got it changed and problem was 98% solved.
A few weeks ago i started getting the same problem again so i bought new plugs and put them on and it worked for 1 day. I read on magnecor web site that because of the design of the valve cover and the spark plug wire connector moisture can accumulate over the plugs causing the problems i experienced. So i took them out wiped them and sprayed the connectors with electrical contact cleaner & that worked ok for a while. Then i bought 2new coil pack and wires and put them on. Still had a slight hesitation. While on work I disconnected the power supply for the fuel pump and tumble the engine to use up the excess fuel in the lines because i wanted to clean the filters in the tank. So i did that and hooked it back up and that’s when my headache started.
That engine cranks normally but the car would not start. I cranked until the battery died. The pump is working cus I can hear it and fuel is getting to the injectors.
2 days ago I got it to start by having someone crank the engine while I block the air intake. When it starts I slowly remove my hands and it will idle but it idles well without the maf and when I connect the sensor it idles rough and stalls after a while. Today took down the intake manifold, egr valve& cleaned them with gum-solve even the maf sensor. After that it started on its own twice but stalled
Anything else I should try? Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance.

babyhuey 10-12-2005 10:57 PM

RE: familia Wont Start

Sounds like the MAF sensor may be contributing to most of the problem if it will idle ok disconnected but runs rough and stalls after reconnecting. Is that style sensor removeable from the air cleaner by two phillips screws? During your cleaning did you also get up inside of the sensor? The little metal wires that are easily visible when looking at the sensor are for intake air temp only. If only that part was cleaned then you might have missed the air flow sensing wires. Turn the sensor upside down and look down inside with a flashlight and you should see two wires in there with a sort of bulge in the middle. Make sure they are very clean by spraying with brake parts cleaner. Preferably non-clorinated and see if that works.

limpy 10-12-2005 11:22 PM

Thanks for your input.

Yes it is removeable from the air cleaner by two phillips screws & i
did turn it over and sprayed the two wires with gum-solve. But ill try the brake parts cleaner and see if it works.

limpy 10-14-2005 10:25 PM

That brake parts cleaner is proving very difficult to find.
I think im going to try bar's engine conditioner tonight and see how it works

babyhuey 10-15-2005 10:34 PM

How about that electrical contact cleaner that you described in your first post??

limpy 10-20-2005 02:25 AM

I tried both the electrical cleaner and the engine conditioner. The wires look clean and shiny too after i cleaned them, but the car still wont start. It will only start if i block the air intake then i have to remove the maf if i want it to keep idling.
Is there any simple test to see if the maf is bad using a volt meter?
A new maf sensor is $1450.

silverracer18 10-20-2005 10:29 PM

when was the last time the oil and coolant was checked?

limpy 10-20-2005 11:47 PM

I changed the oil the same day it wont start and i drained the colant/antifreeze mixture about 5 months ago and replaced it with water.

babyhuey 10-21-2005 04:57 PM

Workshop manual readings were way too vague so I took some readings off of brand new sensor with new air filter. Hope these wire colors match as I am not sure where you are. We have not had a 1.5l engine in a Protege (familia?) since 1998 in the US. Took reading off of a 2001 1.6 but MAF is the same.
White wire with red strip is power supply from main relay. Should match battery voltage anytime key is on or engine running. Black wire with white stripe is ground wire. Ground point is behind the left shock tower. Orange wire is also sensor ground but grounds thru the PCM at pin 91. Blue wire with white stripe is intake air signal to PCM at pin 39. Measured 2.25 volts at 65'F. Specs in manual is 2.3-2.4 volts at 20'C and 1.7-1.9 volts at 86'C. The Light green wire with black stripe is Mass air flow signal to PCM at pin 88. Specs is book were .8-2.2 volts at idle[:@]. I measured .67 volts with Key ON Engine Off. 1.33 volts at idle of 750rpm. 1.8 volts at 2500 rpm.
Sill am very suspect of this sensor as you stated it ran well with sensor unplugged and began to idle rough then stall when reconnected. That is usually a very good test to determine malfunctioning sensor.
How much is $1450 in US dollar? I show factory new part retails for $136.19.

limpy 10-21-2005 11:19 PM

Thanks allot for this info. You show great concern and I really appreciate that. I haven’t got the time to check it as yet, im on work from 7am this morning till now and ill be here for a while still.Ill check it in the morning.
I don’t know much about the pin numbering though although I took apart the pcm when my car stopped working just to see what it looks like inside.
The familia is the Japanese model for the protege. I bought it 1yr ago from a used car dealer that import used cars from Japan to Trinidad. It had 28000km on the odo
Where is the shock tower located?

1450TTD appx 233USD
Thanks