Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Engine misfire, what to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:24 AM
Unhappy Engine misfire, what to do now?

Hi Everyone,

I've recently experienced that my Mazda 323F GLX from 2000 is having a misfire on one cylinder, and also has a lack of torque, sometimes the engine stalls and can't take any gas, it just keeps loosing speed, it sounds like it's drowning it self.
If i remove the ignition plug from cylinder 2, the engine doesn't stall, like if I remove one of the 3 others.

I've done the following:

To resolve misfire error:
Changed all 4 ignition leads.
All 4 spark plugs.
Ignition coils (both).

Yet there is no improvement.

To resolve the throttle error:
Bought the following fuel filter:
https://www.comline.uk.com/sites/com..._017004333.jpg
This is one I can't locate on the car, and can't find anyone on the web revealing its position on a car like mine.

Really hope you guys can help.

Best regards

Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have seen filters like that mounted down beside the gearbox mount/ under the airbox.
RHD models tho.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:09 AM

sounds to you that you have trouble with cyl #2. check the wiring going to that injector. then, the easiest thing to do is to check compression of that cylinder. if ok, then check for a faulty injector. you can unplug the injector (car not running, ignition off) and apply 12v to the injector. you should hear the injector clicking if ok.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Juanky
sounds to you that you have trouble with cyl #2. check the wiring going to that injector. then, the easiest thing to do is to check compression of that cylinder. if ok, then check for a faulty injector. you can unplug the injector (car not running, ignition off) and apply 12v to the injector. you should hear the injector clicking if ok.
Hi Juanky
So i did as you descriped, the injector was clicking and there is power in the cable connecting it.

Do you have any other guesses of what this issue could be?

Best regards

Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM

i would check the compression on that cylinder. if ok, then you might have clogged injector. if compression is not ok, could be a bad valve, or piston rings, or... something a little more complicated. it is easier to check cylinder compression than removing the injector and test for fuel flow. to check for air leaks in that injector, spray some carburator cleaner or wd-40 on the area the injector goes into the cylinder head. if you detect any changes in the idle then you have an air leak and will need to replace the rubber components for that injector.

Last edited by Juanky; 09-17-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:08 AM

i would check the compression on that cylinder. if ok, then you might have clogged injector. if compression is not ok, could be a bad valve, or piston rings, or... something a little more complicated. it is easier to check cylinder compression than removing the injector and test for fuel flow. to check for air leaks in that injector, spray some carburator cleaner or wd-40 on the area the injector goes into the cylinder head. if you detect any changes in the idle then you have an air leak and will need to replace the rubber components for that injector.
As time has been passing at I've been trying to determine what the problem is, i figure it is the fuel injector on the fuel rail.

My question is now, where do i find an injector that fits my 1.8 114hp engine?

I've been looking at this, but it doesn't seem to fit, what is your guess?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-Fue...kAAOSwqu9VBwqe

Hope you, or anybody else can help :-)

Best regards

Old 10-21-2015, 11:35 AM

the last time i messed with my car cylinder head, i replaced all the o rings and what they call the insulator. all the parts are cheap (few dollars, in a little plastic bag that contains all those rubber parts. the injectors in my car were 2 of one color, 2 of another color. they say each color should go in its place. removing the fuel rail is not that difficult, so removing the injectors is easy. what i would do is to swap the injector that goes in cylinder 4 to anorher position and check if the misfire moves to that position. if it does, then you could say the injector is clogged, or bad ( or maybe the rubber components). there is a video on youtube where you can see people cleaning injectors using carburator or brake cleaner, a hose, and 2 jumper wires to apply power to the injector. you connect the hose to the fuel input of the injector and the other side of the hose to the cleaner. then you spray into the injector while an assistant applies 12v to the injector (using the battery power, on and off, like pulsing the power). i did it but cant say it is effective because i did not have any injector troubles. just did it for good measure.

Last edited by Juanky; 10-21-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM

did you check for vacuum leaks? Intake manifold gasket?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 AM

the last time i messed with my car cylinder head, i replaced all the o rings and what they call the insulator. all the parts are cheap (few dollars, in a little plastic bag that contains all those rubber parts. the injectors in my car were 2 of one color, 2 of another color. they say each color should go in its place. removing the fuel rail is not that difficult, so removing the injectors is easy. what i would do is to swap the injector that goes in cylinder 4 to anorher position and check if the misfire moves to that position. if it does, then you could say the injector is clogged, or bad ( or maybe the rubber components). there is a video on youtube where you can see people cleaning injectors using carburator or brake cleaner, a hose, and 2 jumper wires to apply power to the injector. you connect the hose to the fuel input of the injector and the other side of the hose to the cleaner. then you spray into the injector while an assistant applies 12v to the injector (using the battery power, on and off, like pulsing the power). i did it but cant say it is effective because i did not have any injector troubles. just did it for good measure.
Well I swapped the injector from cyl. 3 to cyl 2., started the engine and removed the power from the suspected injector (cyl. 3), when i did that, there was no response, no lowering in RPM, but the misfiring changed from cyl. 3 to cyl. 2.

As I was able to get new rubber rings and tried to clean the injector of best effort, but the output was the same.

Afterwards i bought a new injector, replaced it and it all is up and running, no misfire, running on all cylinders and no issues with the throttle.

Next issue is that the exhaust spits out white smoke when it cold starts, is this a leakage in the headgasket?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by FurnicK
Well I swapped the injector from cyl. 3 to cyl 2., started the engine and removed the power from the suspected injector (cyl. 3), when i did that, there was no response, no lowering in RPM, but the misfiring changed from cyl. 3 to cyl. 2.

As I was able to get new rubber rings and tried to clean the injector of best effort, but the output was the same.

Afterwards i bought a new injector, replaced it and it all is up and running, no misfire, running on all cylinders and no issues with the throttle.

Next issue is that the exhaust spits out white smoke when it cold starts, is this a leakage in the headgasket?
Additionally, there is now an issue with powerloss when I give gas, mostly if the pedal is to the floor?