Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Emmisions nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Default Emmisions nightmare!

Just when i thought that i was getting to a selling point, my poor little '98 Protege LX decided that she wants to start acting up again.

I have been battling a MAF sensor problem for close to a year now, rough idles and all, but this past week, i just decided to go ahead and replace the $200 sensor. And, in all honesty, performance-wise, boy was it worth it! No more idle shake or stalling! Yay!

But, of course that can't be the end. After replacing the sensor and clearing the code, i still can't get the bloody MAF code to stop popping up. I have on a short-ram intake, and I was told by the guy at the emissions garage that that could be causing the code. But i'm puzzled because it is a circuit malfunction and not a fuel trim problem.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and not to mention the third cylinder misfire i get on every cold start. I have replaced all plugs/wire, and the cap and rotor, as well as the fuel filter.

Everyone i've spoken to seems puzzled. But the internet always knows best!

Thanks in advance!

rick

Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM

thats kinda wierd try getting the electronic cleaner and cleaning the harness that plugs into the maf if that doesn't work have you tried re setting your computer?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM

I have already tried the electrical cleaner, but the code doesn't seem to want to go away. Even after clearing the CEL, it comes back within 50 miles. Is there something else i could be resetting?

Also, i am investigating the fuel injector as the cause of the misfire. I cold started the car, waited for it to start misfiring, then shut her down and completely disconnected the number three injector. It didn't get any better (obviously), but it didn't get a whole lot worse either. So, that part will be here thursday, and i'll post an update once i have done the repair.

Thanks!

rick

Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 PM

Alas!

Got my injector today, and i decided to check the CEL codes one last time before i start the repair over the weekend. Sure enough, only the third cylinder misfire code was showing, so i can only assume that the ECU just needed time/miles to recognize the new MAF sensor.

Next up: replacing injector #3, as well as all four injector o-rings.

rick

Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM

Got dirty on a Sunday for nothing

I replaced my third cylinder injector today, and it is still misfiring on cold start. I am stumped.

I am going to try getting the timing set and see if that makes a difference. Although, i don't think it is out of time.

If that doesn't do it, i have no choice but to call it quits, unfortunately. I am going on one whole month without the car being registered, and it has become a money pit. Just gotta hope i can get enough for it to buy a beater that will last me.

rick

Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Do you lose any coolant? as worst case it could be a hairline blow head gasket giving you a wet plug on number 3 when cold.

Could be a sticking valve

Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Hoorah!

I passed my emissions test today!

Well, i sorta cheated. Same thing, right?

Anyway! Turns out the problems is a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Apparently, its losing pressure and getting to hot to function properly, as i am told. One weekend soon, i will be attempting to replace it. I am going to make a "1998 lx 1.5 exhaust manifold" thread before i get started to see if there are any tricks to working in the small space.

I honestly hope this helps someone else. I have seen a few 2nd gens have this problem, as well as some other makes/models.

Thanks for all the help and advise!

I look forward to helping out where i can, and learning all i can from this forum.

Oh! and pictures of my lovely little nightmare of a car will be coming soon!

rick

Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM

Who made the short ram? I was told that aem and mazdaspeed short rams will not throw a cel but everything else would. They said that the maf sensor doesnt line up corectly with the after market intake. Thats why it throws a cel. But with the aem it shouldnt.