Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

code p0106 what need attention???

Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Default code p0106 what need attention???

hello im new here and i try to help my friend with his mazda protege 2001 2L

he just got into a lots of trouble with his car's EGR valve then his alternator and after the alternator was changed he got this trouble p0106 all in the same week! what need to be cheked ??

can it be the map sensor ??

or can it be this disconencted part on the picture (intake to filter disconnected) ??

thx for the help its apriciated!!

p.s.
i hope my english is not too bad ...

Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: code p0106 what need attention???

English is just fine pr0cess0r.. Your photography on the other hand....hmmmmmm. Are you talking about that little gap near the radiator? Not a problem if that is what you were getting at.
Map or Boost sensor is not necessarily the problem with that code being set. Are you able to locate the sensor and solenoid valve in far right rear corner of the engine compartment? Sensor and solenoid are sitting right there together on the same bracket. Map sensor has three wires going to it and solenoid only has two. Vacuum line from backside of intake manifold connects to the solenoid and another small vacuum line connects between the solenoid and sensor. First make sure that you have good strong vacuum up to the solenoid from the intake manifold. Carefull removing the vacuum line as the solenoid connection is plastic and will break if tweaked on too hard. Kind of common for the port in the manifold to get clogged with carbon and restrict or completely block vacuum to the solenoid valve.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 PM

ok to be sure the code p0106 talk about the MAP and its on the firewall not on the air intake isnt it ??

the machine said P:0106 MAP/Manifold absolute pressure/barometric circuit range/performance problem

if its true then the mecanic here really tried to screw us.

in red is the screw missing that is responsible of the gap before the air comes into the filter
in green is what the mecanic showed me. He said that this box was the MAP and he probably would have to change everything...it costed me 1000$ of repair this week and he said this would cost another 400$ so before I put my hammer in that car i need to know what to do...my VISA is now full..

I put numerous picture of my engine bay on flicker It would be nice to tell me where is that MAP so i can clean it (and with what?)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48602877@N00/

Old 08-16-2006, 05:45 PM

That is not the MAP sensor but is instead the MAF or Mass Air Flow sensor. That sensor is used to determine the amount of air that is coming into the engine. That MAP or BARO or Boost sensor (same sensor different names ) is located in right rear corner of engine compartment as shown in pic below. Code P0106 would be refering to this sensor system. There is nothing to clean in this sensor as it is just detecting different pressures and giving that information to the engine computer. The engine computer also uses this sensor to determine if the EGR valve is operating correctly. Is possible that your EGR valve was replaced not because it was bad but because there is a problem with this MAP sensor or solenoid or vacuum source but do not know the reasons behind why EGR valve was replaced to start with.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/7B26D68F10AA4CE98FDC95EED9993195.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 PM

I changed the EGR valve a week ago because the idle was erratic and going too slow the RPM was ****ed up and it would start the car was shacking like crazy so i went to the mazda dealership and had it replaced. on the receipt it is written that the code was P0300 which is P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected .right after the car was running really good until the alternator broke...I made it changed to another garage because the dealership was full. than 1 km after i went out of the garage door the check engine lighted. I returned to the garage and he plugged it. I saw the code P0106. thats all I know...

so i dont know if I could say something to the garage so they repair it without me paying another damn 400$. I'm trying to sold the car here. I started to try to sell it before it began to broke down so I dont want to lose a buyer for that...its hard to sell a car with a check engine lighted.

THANKS huey for your answer...I really really really appreciate

Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Yes it is hard to sell a car with the check engine light on. It sounds then like the EGR valve was replaced for a good, valid reason in that it was sticking open causing the rough idle and CEL with P0300. That makes good sense.
Just wanted to make sure you realize that replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor circled in green in your picture will not in any way fix a P0106 code. Wanted to also make sure that you are getting vacuum from the intake manifold to the solenoid in my picture. When the alternator was replaced it was probably pulled up out of that area and the vacuum line could have been knocked off or been otherwise damaged during that removal. Would sure be nice if it was as simple as an unplugged vaccum line.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Huey you're my guy! see what i've found!

the tube going to the MAP was disconnected because it pass by the alternator so the guy probably unplug it when detaching the alternator. I unplugged the battery and went for a ride and the engine check didnt light!

so the second mechanic really tried to screw me there...and charged me 20$ for their error...

THANKS BABYHUEY!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Now that is really nice to see. . Glad you found that pr0cess0r. Cheaper than 400$ eh? Now maybe you can go ahead and get it back up for sale.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 PM

Monday I phoned a newspaper to put an add starting tomorrow morning...so I was very angry to see the check engine lighted...I'm as happy as I just won 400$ at the lotto!

I'll probably call the owner of the shop to complain though

I could add too: when I push the brake pedal a bit there is a screech sound rotating...but not when I brake hard. a friend told me to get the end of the brake drums sanded...the mecanics told me that you cant do that

Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 PM

Is the screech noise coming from the front or rear when braking and does the car have to be moving to make the noise or will it also make noise when at a a stop? You can use a light grade sandpaper on brake drum friction surfaces to remove glazing and put a non-directional finish which will sometimes help brake squeak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: code p0106 what need attention???