Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

best tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 AM
Default best tires?

I'm replacing the tires on my 02 protege 5 soon. I'm wondering what tires you guys have had luck with. I live in south MS where it is summer 8 months out of the year, and flash floods are relatively common. I'm looking for response and cornering but water displacement is a must. thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 PM

I suggest you go to the tire rack website and check their ratings and reviews of various tires. I would look for reviews based on small front wheel drive vehicles with the tires driven at least 10K miles. This footwork will pay off for you.

I am using Michelin Defender on a Pontiac Vibe and they are quiet running, have excellent cornering ability but I am not sure how to rate water displacement other than saying that I did not experience any aquaplaning.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I suggest you go to the tire rack website and check their ratings and reviews of various tires. I would look for reviews based on small front wheel drive vehicles with the tires driven at least 10K miles. This footwork will pay off for you.

I am using Michelin Defender on a Pontiac Vibe and they are quiet running, have excellent cornering ability but I am not sure how to rate water displacement other than saying that I did not experience any aquaplaning.
ok I'll check out Tire Rack and the defender. thanks for the help!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Michelin's are excellent tires, depending upon the model.
My wife (also driving a Pontiac Vibe) and I with my Mazda3 HB have been using Continental DWS tires practically since they were first introduced 6 years ago. I am still on my first set. My wife's car has gone through the first and is on its second set.
These are a usually a little less money than a comparable Michelin, are quiet running, ride well, long wearing (something like a 620 wear rating,) brake well also and I have nothing at all bad to say about the way they displace with high water on the road. They have been fantastic every day tires for us both.
The only thing I can fault them for at all is they are slightly slow in the steering department. I pump mine up a bit and they are fine, but still a little slow to respond.
I still wouldn't give them up for as more expensive tire, and certainly not a cheaper one.
This is my forth set of tires on the Mazda and the best, longest wearing and most sure-footed so far.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM

general altimax rt43 are good tires

Old 06-02-2015, 04:55 AM

Check out the Conti DW. They offer great traction on dry and wet roads.