Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Protege (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/)
-   -   98 Prot.. Intake Install and now no start (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/98-prot-intake-install-now-no-start-13364/)

kavan 03-14-2008 11:01 PM

98 Prot.. Intake Install and now no start

Hey guys new here, I installed an Air Intake onto my 98 Prot.. and well now the problem is it wont start. It first fully started after the first time it miss fired. Now to get it started I have to start it.. it goes chug chug chug and dies.. then Gass about 5 times and then turn the key again and keep gasssing it hard for about 15-20seconds and then it will stay on. Ive let it run for about 10-15 min i drove it around for 20min Ive tried it off and on ive checked all the seals for the intake problem hasn't gone away. Ive got it parked out now im hoping over night if the plugs do have a bit of flooding it would go away.

Ive chcked the Oxygen Sensor ive got the hose on ive added Fuel Injector cleaner. I dont know waht could be wrong. THe O2 sensor cannot make a car NOT start right?

What could it be? All thats left to do is check the SPark Plugs for a flooding and if thats not it im stumpped I dont konw waht it can be.

The car has lost BIG time acceleration and the Check ENgine light keeps blinking.

Thanks Kavan15@hotmail.com if you can or please just post a reply.

THANKS!!!!!

Jabboss1 03-15-2008 12:24 AM

RE: 98 Prot.. Intake Install and now no start

check the Mass air flow insure it isn't installed backwards

kavan 03-15-2008 11:45 AM

How do i check that? Now its down to the Air Sensor... Because ive changed the spark plugs and wires the plugs were bad but... I dont know I got to get the O2 Sensor and check if that makes it work.

I have a feeling the engine is sucking in too much air because when i gass it hard the engine sucks in the air but doesnt go anywhere I think its a problem of the air to gas mixture.

Also there was this Fuse box kind of relay thing that i disconnected that was attached to teh stock intake. What is that used for and im probbably going to put that back on but ive tried it back on didnt make much of a difference or any difference for that matter. Ill install it back on but what does it do?

fortysixxand2 03-15-2008 01:13 PM

Lol was this "fuse box likething" attached to the intake behind the airbox a few inches before going into the intake manifold? If so yes thats a VERY vital part, the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and if you treated it like it was just junk you wouldn't need again,you'll probably have to buy a new one.

kavan 03-15-2008 06:24 PM

Well yea that was it. Now i didnt really treat it like garbage but .. When i put that back on how long till things start running like they should be?

kavan 03-15-2008 06:25 PM

Where could I buy somthing like that say i Reconnected that part and i Still ahve the same problem? That would obviouslly mean that part needs to be replaced. But i toko the clip off and removed the screws i was not VIolent with it at all?

Any suggestions?

fortysixxand2 03-15-2008 07:50 PM

So you just have a gaping hole in the intake? No offense meant whatsoever, but didn't it dawn on you that it's there for a reason and that there shouldn't be a hole in the intake system? It's a very very very sensitive pain in the #%$ so if it was bumped at all theres a good chance it won't function right. As for replacing it worst case scenario, you could either go to the dealer and have them get it which would probably be expensive like all dealers or order one off of the internet. Bad thing for you if this is the case, looks like the 98 protege MAFs are exceptionally pricy for some reason? The cheapest I'm seeing in just a basic search is $200+. The cheapest I'm seeing are on this site..(http://www.autopart.com/MAFS/MAFS1998MAZDAPROTEGE.htm) you obdviously would want to do a more thorough search maybe local salvage yards and so fourth.

kavan 03-15-2008 09:30 PM

it works it was that fuse like "box" i re jointed it between the pipe and filter works likea charm.

wsoape281 03-15-2008 10:17 PM

that was the MAF. you definitely needed that.

protegedon 03-15-2008 11:51 PM

If the check engine light stays on, you can reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for for about 15 seconds and then reconnecting it. Do this when the engine in NOT running.
[align=left] [/align]