Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protege LX Starting Problems

Old 07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Question 2000 Protege LX Starting Problems

I have been having problems with starting my 2000 mazda protege in the past 2 months, especially in warmer weather. I had the starter changed, an oil change and inquired about a tune up, but was told that it may or may not help. It doesn't happen all the time when I go to start the car and my mechanic is not really sure what it could be. We are on a tight budget and cannot keep possibly throwing money into parts that may or may not help the problem. The car only has about 36,000 miles on it and last year we had a new battery put in. When I try to start the car on the first try, it sounds like it wants to start and one time I heard a screaching noise and then I turn the key back and then try on the second time and it starts. There are times it does start fine on the first time.
Today I went driving around - several errands/stops along the way and by the last stop I went to start the car and it sounded like it wants to start...making a "mmmmmm" noise but nothing. I did this 4 times and finally gave up, waited 20 min for my husband to come by the parking lot I was in, which luckily was in our neighborhood and he put his key in and it started for him but it had a "sick" sound to it. We then drove back to our mechanic who was able to start the car with no trouble and again said that he has nothing to go by......the car is starting. So my husband and I took it to autozone and they checked the battery, the alternator, the starter and the ignition control module and they were fine. I told the people there what was up and my husband mentioned that we saw online about the Crank Position Sensor and was told that the check engine light would go on if it was that.
Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM

The check engine lights don't always come on if something is wrong. So it takes a little more than a scanner to do proper diagnostic.
The screeching sound could be caused by a slipping belt. Make sure that the belts are in good shape and properly tensioned.
It is also possible that the starter solenoid is not working correctly. Actually that would explain why sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't.
I would look at the starter and the electrical contacts at the starter. Also make sure there are good ground connections.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Update.....we have taken the car to a total of 3 mechanics, 1 of them did a diagnostic check and nothing came up, 1 of them was possibly leaning towards CPS and camshaft sensor, the other a fuel pump. Our car is now stalling and last weekend stalled while I was driving and luckily I was locally and somehow got the car to pull over and then eventually got the car out of everybody's way. By the time the tow truck came, he was able to start the car. Our mechanic looked at it last week and did his own diagnostic check and nothing came up. He put in a new CPS part at our request and after driving it around and coming back to the shop it gave him starting issues so he took the part out so we wouldn't have to pay for it. He is suggesting we take it to a Mazda service center so they can do their own diagnostic on it and that would cost here in nyc at this place, $149. Otherwise he is leaning towards the fuel pump. The car stalled in front of our apartment today and it took us waiting 1/2 hour before I felt confident to drive it to a safe parking spot. We live in the city and parking here is not in front of where you live all the time and we have alternate side parking as well. I do not know what else to do. I am so frustrated with getting no results from all these mechanics....basically since its "computer" driven. My husband and I are not mechanically capable. We know the basic stuff and what we find out on the internet, and now we are wondering if we should just sell the car because I feel like I don't have a car as it is now and we really cannot afford to buy a new or even a used car right now. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Fuel pressure needs to be around 50-60 lbs. Pull the plugs one at a time, is there soot, or white on the porcelin? This does sound fuel related to me, and not ignition. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Default 2000 protege start problem

your problem sounds similar to mine. my car wouldn't start when engine hot and sometimes would stall out. it turned out to be my camshaft position sensor. did you ever find out problem? I would put a new cam sensor in and leave it there.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Buddy, this topic is 2yrs old.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by jerfran1111
your problem sounds similar to mine. my car wouldn't start when engine hot and sometimes would stall out. it turned out to be my camshaft position sensor. did you ever find out problem? I would put a new cam sensor in and leave it there.
Hello jerfran1111. Yes, it did turn out to be the Camshaft sensor. The check engine light eventually came on and they were able to do the diagnostic from that. Car has been fine since then.
Thanks for replying.