Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1999 Protege Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Default 1999 Protege Start issue

My GF has a 99 Protege, Manual Trans, 5 spd.

Here in the past month or so, we have noticed that when she drives her car for a few min, then turns it off, it has a hard time turning over on restart. The issue hasn't occurred from a Cold start, only a slightly warm to fully warmed up start has this issue.

I checked the battery and it has a 12V charge and while running goes up to 14V which suggests to me the alternator is working.

Is it the starter or possibly a PC valve(not even sure if a model this old has a PC valve). Im kinda lost as to what the problem may be.

Thanks in advance
B

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM
mau

Air flow sensor may need cleaning.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Howdy all, New poster here. Google brought me to this post, and damn it sounds like the original poster might be my twin. At the very least, we have a very similar problem.

My girlfriend's car is also a 99 ES w/ a 5 speed. After VERY short trips (like moving it from the street to the garage), it will not start on the next morning. It cranks just fine, but fails to catch. Seems to happen most when it is both cold & wet outside (by Georiga standards, so we're talking just above freezing).

I've found that I can get it to start eventually by holding the gas pedal to the floor & cranking the motor for a bit. Then I slowly ease up on the gas pedal so that it's 3/4 or 1/2 way depressed while continuing to crank (taking breaks every 15 seconds or so). Eventually the car will sputter to life, but it takes a while.

I'm of the opinion that it's not battery/alternator/starter related, as it turns over quite strongly.

I did replace the plugs/wires/coilpacks last year for a different reason. Didn't seem to affect this problem at all. I've also replaced most of the air intake as well as the MAF sensor. Again, these were all related to other issues, but the change didn't seem to affect this particular problem. I should add that there's no warning lights and no codes are being thrown.

So now I'm thinking perhaps it's fuel related? My understanding is that the fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump, so it's not something you swap out every few years. Then again, car is 13 years old now, maybe I should do the whole pump?

Anyone have any thoughts, or seen a similar problem?
Thanks
-Chris

Last edited by ptc075; 01-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

It could be fuel related. Check the fuel pressure. May be you get a benefit from a fuel system cleaner.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Default fuel pump

The fuel pump is easy to get to. It is under a plate bolted to the underside of the spare tire well. Be sure to replace the hoses as well. I own a 1999 Protege ES with over 160,000 miles on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluntablo
My GF has a 99 Protege, Manual Trans, 5 spd.

Here in the past month or so, we have noticed that when she drives her car for a few min, then turns it off, it has a hard time turning over on restart. The issue hasn't occurred from a Cold start, only a slightly warm to fully warmed up start has this issue.

I checked the battery and it has a 12V charge and while running goes up to 14V which suggests to me the alternator is working.

Is it the starter or possibly a PC valve(not even sure if a model this old has a PC valve). Im kinda lost as to what the problem may be.

Thanks in advance
B
Sounds a awful lot like a starter problem to me. Starters can be prone to heat soak as they get old. And they most common problem is a slow cranking starter when you turn the key. My 88 mustang gt had the same problem after i put a set of long tube headers on, the starter got heat soaked. I installed a new starter and problem gone. Ive seen it on lots of other vehicles as well.

hope this helps