Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/)
-   -   What should Compression be on B2200 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/what-should-compression-b2200-34038/)

TAC2014 08-04-2014 05:18 PM

What should Compression be on B2200

Howdy Guys.....I recently bought a 1991 B2200 with a rebuilt engine from a place in Portland Oregon and the motor now has 60K on it.

I did a compression test (wet & dry) before buying it and all cylinders were ok...150-150-145-150

When I drive it it seems to me it should have a little more power. My brothers GEO METRO has compression of 180psi and it has 200K on it and it has more power. I realize my truck weighs a lot more than a GEO but shouldn't the compression be higher? It seems to me if it is supposed to be higher then at least one cylinder would show higher than 150 because it would be highly impossible for every cylinder to wear exactly the same.

I haven't checked the timing yet but it runs like a raped ape on the freeway so if the timing is off it cant be off much. ALSO what can I do to get better MPG? I'm getting 22MPG on freeway (I have a cab high aluminum shell on it) I'm thinking of installing electric fans and headers in hopes of gaining at least 5MPG....is that to much to expect?

Thanks Guys
Patrick
Skagit County, Wa

UseYourNoggin 08-04-2014 05:50 PM

READ: MazdaBScene.com • View thread - Compression test results

same vehicle as you! Talking compression.

Tony Fisher 09-14-2019 08:55 PM

More power

Originally Posted by TAC2014 (Post 147845)
Howdy Guys.....I recently bought a 1991 B2200 with a rebuilt engine from a place in Portland Oregon and the motor now has 60K on it.

I did a compression test (wet & dry) before buying it and all cylinders were ok...150-150-145-150

When I drive it it seems to me it should have a little more power. My brothers GEO METRO has compression of 180psi and it has 200K on it and it has more power. I realize my truck weighs a lot more than a GEO but shouldn't the compression be higher? It seems to me if it is supposed to be higher then at least one cylinder would show higher than 150 because it would be highly impossible for every cylinder to wear exactly the same.

I haven't checked the timing yet but it runs like a raped ape on the freeway so if the timing is off it cant be off much. ALSO what can I do to get better MPG? I'm getting 22MPG on freeway (I have a cab high aluminum shell on it) I'm thinking of installing electric fans and headers in hopes of gaining at least 5MPG....is that to much to expect?

Thanks Guys
Patrick
Skagit County, Wa

I have a 91 b2200 as well and noticed the same. Mostly uphill she falls on her face. Getting ready to do compression check. Found out no 1. only 85 hp factory. No 2 mine has a single barrel progressive carb. No secondary, no nothing. What's the cheapest change over to a 2 barrel card

Cusser 09-17-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fisher (Post 177440)
only 85 hp factory.

And my 1988 B2200 is a Cab Plus, and I have a cross-bed toolbox with some stuff in it.

For comparison sake, my 1998 Nissan Frontier regular cab and 2004 Frontier King Cab have 4-cylinder engines rated at 143hp, much better power than the B2200. All three trucks are 2WD and 5-speed.