Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Unable to achieve 6-8 BTDC

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Default Unable to achieve 6-8 BTDC

Hello all,

I have a 1991 Mazda B2200 2.2L, with Fuel Injection and manual transmission. I recently had the head replaced on it. I took it in for a smog check, which is what we do here in California, and the mechanic said that the timing was off and that he could fix it by removing the distributor and resetting it because he couldnt advance it due to the advancement on the distributor had maxed out.

Since I had some mechnical background, I decided to take it home and see for myself if everything lined up correctly. I placed #1 cyl to TDC on the comp stroke, remove the dist cap, rotor was at #1 cyl in relations to the cap, remove the cam cover, cam gear arrow was aligned with its mark and the same for the crankshaft with its mark and the pully with the T mark on the lower cover. I removed the distributor just because and found that it seems to be in correctly meaning, I aligned the marks, installed with the hold down clamp centered and it put the rotor right at #1 on the cap. Looked at the manual and the distributor cap is in position just as it describes.

Then button everything back up, started the truck, she started right up, I followed the manual to the T to adjust and set the timing, but I still would max out on the distributor and can not bring it within specs. Am I missing something? I dont believe the I'm 180 out or could this be a problem like a modulator issue? Please give me some info to help resolve the problem.........thanks in advance

Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM

I have a 92 EFI B2200 and also live in cali...

Sounds like Mechanically the cam and crank are lined up.

In that case I have two things for you to check.

-- Pull the distributor out and check the alignment marks are correct.

distributor alignment marks:
Name:  Ymg6mzz.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  38.0 KB
Name:  n7cqvgq.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  53.2 KB

Make sure they are lined up like in the picture and re install the distributor as you did previously. (Cyl#1 at TDC, etc, etc)

-- When you use a timing light on an EFI b2200 you need to ground out a test connector in order to disable the electronic advance.

The connector is a one pin green connector in the engine bay on the passenger side wheel well up near the fire wall. ground it out to any chassis ground and then set your base timing to 8 degrees.

Connector:
Name:  bZxYOME.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  119.7 KB

I hope this information helps. Good Luck.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks Brother for the info. wasnt able to see your pics, but I did everything you mentioned previously. I even saw a video on youtube that showed the removal and re-installing the distributor. It was exactly the same procedure I used. This issue has me very puzzled........

Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Can you see the timing marks on the crank pulley with the timing light?

You just cant get it to go all the way to where you need it?

Try moving over a tooth, even if the marks are lined up now just try to move a tooth a notch in the advanced direction and see where that gets you.

It could be possible that when you put the distributor in the helical cut gear moves the line up marks away from eachother.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Problem solved........lesson's learned is that although the tech manual instruct you to do it this way, it is not always so. After tinkingering around with the distributor moving it from one tooth before or after the alignment marks as suggested, I was still unable to achieve the correct timing within specs. So I removed the distributor again and set it 180 out, and put everything back together, started her up, shot it with the light, and there she was right on the mark of 8 degrees and the right RPMs.

I thank all of you for your inputs......this is a great site, with lots of information........

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Nice find! What it looks like to me is whoever did the head work and put the timing belt on, did it with piston #1 on TDC correctly but on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke? Not a huge deal you just have to remember it for the future if you have to ever take the dizzy out again.

Good job diagnosing!