Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Truck slowing down going up hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Default Truck slowing down going up hill

I have about had it with this truck. I have a 91 b2200 truck I bought in November. I was told by the mechanic I paid to get it suposively fixed that it was a 2.0 engine. I got a webber carb put on it. He tried a bunch of jets trying it out and replaced the vaccum advance and some hoses. He "had" it working but it started doing the same thing it had done since day one. It will run good at first then all of a sudden it will start sputtering and slow down to about 20-30 mph. It will barely move and I have to pull it over. I can start off on the roadagain but it will get to about 30 and start sputtering. It will bogg down and I can give it all the gas and it just sputters. It will sometimes start going faster and the RPM sometimes will jump up to 4000 but it will sputter and go down in rpm again. I have noticed that it does this mainly when I start going up a steep long hill or when I start to get on the interstate and have to get up to speed. If I stay on flat land it seems to never give me trouble but when I try to go up a hill is when it acts up. Then when I get on smooth land again it will drive fine, with just a few sputters. I have had it with this piece of S#%T. The mechanic I had to look at it can't figure it out and I don't want to sink any more into his repair bills. Has anyone seen this and give me an idea of what to look at. I have a automatic transmission and one guy told me these transmissions have coils in them to switch gears, But the thing shifts really smooth. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Truck slowing down going up hill

i'm kinda having the same problem with my '81 b2000 but not as bad. i changed the fuel filter and it fix it for awhile, then the fuel pump and it worked for a while, and now it is doing it again. i was going totryputting ona weber carb next. if noti'm switching to the fuel injected motor. anyways,it sounds like a fuel delivery problem to meand you should start at the gas tank and move all the way to the intake ports.i would also tryhaving someone else takea second look at her because if he messed with the jets he could have screwed them up. it really sounds, to me, like that is what happed because as the throttle plate opens, as in going up a hill or getting on the highway, and more fuel is being sucked through the jet it cuts out. so maybe he damanged it. don't give up yet. these trucks should run forever.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 AM

I drove in today and t run fine. But who knows about the next time. I got the best gas I could and filled it up. I also added some carb cleaner in it. It makes you want to take a gun and put it or yourself out of misery. I have got to where I hate it. I am thinking about cutting my losses and selling it. Let someone else have a go at it. But what gets me is that it doesn't do it every time and when it acts up it will sputter and stuff till you park it for a few hours.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM

if you have a weber on it you need to get a fuel pressure regulator dont settle for a cheap one they dont last...your fuel pump is putting out to much presure for the weber

Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM

I think I found it. I stopped by the parts store I go to so I could get some gas line. I was going to replace them since they were so old. I didn't know the size and the guy who worked there came out to see if he could guess the size. I showed him the lines and hoses I wanted to replace and when I did I found a rubber hose that had a crack in it. I think it was to the fuel pump, it was on the left side of the engine and behind the webber. I think one hose was from the gas line from the tank, the other I think was the line to the carb. The one that had the issue may have been a evaporating tube from the tank is what I guessed. I grabbed the hose and it slid then the split in it leaked out gas. I got about 6 feet of hoses, to replace them all and for future use. I just cut the cracked area out of the hose and slid it back on then put one of the new clamps on. I am going to put the new hoses on this weekend. Anyway it drove like a new vehicle. I took it down a steep hill thats about 2-3 miles to the bottom. I turned around just before the bottom and stopped. I checked the hose out and it was fine. I started out going up the hill and it went 0-50 faster than it ever has even on flat roads. I got up to 50-55 in no time. I drove it in and it was running really great. As far as the regulator goes I ordered one for it when I got the carb and the mechanic put it on. You can see the truck with the camper I have for it at http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...01948653avarBM
It looks like it is weighing it down but its not. I am almost finished rebuilding the camper and at that time it did not have a good weight proportion to it. Plus the way my drive is it caused it to look that way. On level ground the lines of the camper and the truck are level.

So thanks for all the advice.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Glad to hear you have the issue fixed, and nice looking truck and camper!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the complements on the truck and camper. The truck looked like it was in such good condition thats one of the reasons I bought it. The guy I got it from said that the dash was replaced and thats why it had 280k on it. That could very well be true, I don't see how it could have that much. Everything is tight and in too good off condition. The engine is a lower mileage he said also. It has been replaced. The thing runs like a new one almost. As far as the camper you can check through those pictures. I took it down to the metal frame and replaced all the wood. I got into campers a few years ago looking for a new project after redoing my 66 ford truck. I like campers a lot better to redo. Takes less time and money.