Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Truck died and next day it works

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Default Truck died and next day it works

Yesterday I came home and unloaded my 2001 B3000. about 10 minutes later I tried to start my truck and it was dead. No noise from starter,no clock in the radio.

I thought the battery died,so I hooked up my battery charger and it showed the battery had a full load.

I let it sit overnight and went out to try again. Before cranking it I shifted the automatic from P-R-D-D1-D2 and back to N and it started right up.

Anyone have any idea what happened ?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 AM

I would've said neutral safey switch on the transmission, but you state that the clock on the stereo didn't operate. That makes me think to clean the battery terminals and cables good, or suspect the ignition switch electrical portion.

Unfortunately, you need to "catch" the truck when it's NOT working to troubleshoot an issue like this.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Not only the batt. clamps and posts. The cables may be corroded and if so need replacing. nCheck the GROUND connections of the Neg. cable. If not good then heat/cold expand/contract scenarios could account for the symptoms you describe. it's humerous the "voodoo" we can come up with trying to see a pattern where none may nexist. I battled bad starter problems and chenged three of them and worked the wiring to find out my batteery just wasn't putting out enough charge. But ground problems account for an inordinately high percentage of ALL electrical problems. The rule here is to be THOROUGH and PAINSTAKING. Clean, scrape with a sharp knife all grease and paint from grounding locations. Sand and file to roughen the surfaces as well as the mounting connector/lug. Use a larger screw OR better yet, replace it if poss. with a bolt. Don't forget a split washer to make sure the connection stays tight. If the problem is resolved by improving the electrical pathway in this way, you will be greatly and goodly gratified in that your dogged attention to the knotty little gremlins reached fruition!!! So, if it is NOT the battery, NOT the starter, NOT the ingition switch etc, etc. maybe just a thorough examination of all of the suspect wiring is necessary. heck, you must do this anyway in order to rule it out, RIGHT!