Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Timing marks on 2.3L I4

Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Default Timing marks on 2.3L I4

My Chilton manual doesn't address the kind of timing marks I have on the camshaft and balance shaft sprockets. It doesn't even mention the balance shaft (drives the oil pump).
Here's the deal. The "belt guide", a plate behind the timing sprocket has two marks.
A diamond and an indent. The indent is for the proximity switch for the balance shaft and so you use the diamond for the timing mark on the back timing cover. There isn't a prox for the camshaft so I was using the indent for the timing mark. Truck lacks power and is hard to start.
I didn't notice the diamond, very faint imprint, until I tried a number of times.
Is the diamond the key for the camshaft timing also? I was told that the "picture" looks like it has the keyway pointing straight down. This is true when using the indent for timing but not so when using the diamond.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Default RE: Timing marks on 2.3L I4

Setting the diamond as the timing mark did NOT work!
When I was setting the indent on the backplate of the camshaft sprocket
the keyway was at 6 o'clockand the exh. & int. lobes of the cam were approx.
at 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
Now there's no compression.
I'm lost.... please help.
1996 Mazda B2300
thx,
xsurfer in Idaho

Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Default RE: Timing marks on 2.3L I4

Got it! The camshaft sprocket and the balance shaft sprockets are the exact same part number.
On the back plate (or belt guide) are 3 distinct items.
First and most obvious is a 3/8" wide indentation. This is only for the camshaft position sensor which reads off the back of the balance shaft. When the balance shaft is timed correctly this indent will be right in front of the prox. switch (position sensor).
Then there's 2 lightly etched shapes on the back plate. If you've got a lot of miles on your vehicle like I do these maybe almost invisible from wear.
Timing marks:
Crankshaft - There's a dot on one of the teeth, line up with notch in casting just right of straight up when standing in front of the engine. Keyway should be straight up, 12 o'clock.
Balance shaft - Line up the diamond shape on the sprocket's backplate with the diamond on the back timing belt cover.
Camshaft - Line up the triangle on the sprocket's backplate with the triangle on the back timing belt cover.
After you release the tensioner, make sure all the marks are still right on time.
Frickin' Chilton manuals suck!!!