Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

some more questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Default some more questions...

ok couple questions, one. when i frist start the b2000 i hear a tapping noise, i heard it the first time i worked on it to, but it is NOT a rod its a lifter.sometimes i hear it at start up while other times i dont. most of the time i dont hear it. but i was just wondering if there is something i missing. why would a lifter be tapping sometimes. and one more thing. in illinois we have to pass emissions. i have given b2000 new spark plugs new wires, new pvc, air fliter, changed oil, and im still getting a lot of smoke out the tail pipe, i knowi probably need a new exhaust, i know that the cat has just been changed. any tips would be appericated. thanx liz

Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Default RE: some more questions...

Lifters on higher mileage engines is not abnormal, especially on start up. It is caused by sludge build up in the valve train. The easiest way to help quieten it is to use some Marvel Mystery Oil or about a half quart of transmission fluid and pour it into oil fill on the valve cover. This will help clean out the oil passages in the engine.

As for smoke, is it running rich and burning excess fuel or is it burning oil? If it is fuel, the carb most likely needs to be looked at. If it is burning oil, there is something internal in the engine that needs to be addressed like rings or valve guide seals.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:56 PM

87 B2000 did not have hydraulic valve lifters but had manually adjustable ones. B2200 has hydraulic lifters though and if a motor swap had been done in the past maybe you actually have a 2.2 engine and not the 2.0. How do the spark plugs look. Oil fouled or nice and clean?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM

when i changed the spark plugs they look smilar to the one in a blazer i used to have. all the tip is black. didnt look to bad. but they were diffently black. they smelled rich however. and the tapping nosie goes away after a second start up, (after runing and then starting again). as fpr the oil, it looks clean cause i just changed but before i changed it was black, but it also set for a straight year outside with out running.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 PM

The hydraulic lash adjustors in many mazdas of around those years are extremely crappy, miatas, 626s, MX-6, and a few others all had similar problems. Mazda came out with a service bulletin on it for the miata, it basically said that if the vehicle sits without being started for as little as 2 days it can develop a lifter tick. The service bulletin for the miata recommended using a lighter winter rating on the oil (I think 5w-30) to fix the problem. DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR PICKUP. The pickup trucks like a thicker oil, usually 10w-40, and it is recommended by mazda to use an oil in the 86-93 B2200 that is 10w-40 or thicker in temperatures above 30 deg F.

Most likely you will never get rid of the lifter tick without either replacing all of them or switch to mechanical (mechanical will have a tick just because of the way they work). Ways to help prevent lifter tick are to start and warm up the truck atleast every two days. Do your oil changes every 3,000-4,000 miles and use a new oil filter every time. Use an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve (I recommend Pure One Micronic Filters) and I've noticed using a synthetic blend when possable helps.

Often replacing the ticking lifter will immediatly result in another lifter starting to tick soon afterwards. Many people have replaced all the lifters with new ones just to have them start ticking again 2 weeks later. As long as the tick is not bad and goes away after the engine starts up it is not considered a critical problem.

I did notice when I had hydraulic lifters in my truck that doing the automatic tranny fluid in the oil trick every now and then helped although it was never a permanent cure.