Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

same truck, new issue, flames out the exhaust pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Default same truck, new issue, flames out the exhaust pipe!

so got a new cam, everything installed, ran great for a few months....till tonight. i have a steady orange jet of flame shooting out the exhaust pipe, my cats are burned and the idle will be smooth then slowly gradualy start to drop till the engine just shuts off. i can smell raw gas from the engine compartment, but no signs of leakig, the carb is a used reman unit that was installed about 3 years ago. i know my o2 sensor is now toast and it smells so freakin rich it ain't funny. as cool as it looks, i know i'm damaging the truck, i need to know what might cause this issue and if any one else has had this problem?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

what year?
Didn't know O2 sensors were with carburetor set-ups?
Is it a throttle body?
What engine?
This new cam is it OE replacement or a performance cam?

The reason you didn't see flames til now is because it took a while more than likely for your cat to burn out first.

You are definitely sending raw fuel out the exhaust.
Misfire?

If it's a throttle body, clean your MAF.

Really need more history! plugs, wires changed when?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM

1987 mazda B2000, solex 2bbl carb, california emissions, lightly used cam from hydraulic head 1987 mazda 2l engine from reputable engine shop, plugs less than 1 year old, wires, rotor, cap coil modual less than 4 months old. tho did some deep reading last night and seems all signs point to the idle mixture solenoid. will look in to that today.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 AM

good news, trucks fixed. was a faulty idle mixture solenoid and dead o2 sensor. both replaced and runs great. now just gotta replace the cats. *shudder*

Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Nice job nikkievix! And thanks for the feedback. Your truck appears to be from the transitional period when sequential EFI was taking over and displacing carburetors.
You are already the resident expert on these!

Please, put your truck's vital stats in your signature line. That will put a smile on noggin's face.....it's just what that face needs.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

thanx for update!
damm california emissions.
This place might have a cat for you (click on it): The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 PM

so figure i should finaly post a reply. well.. the truck passed smog in september 2014 finaly. the whole culprit in the smoke and flames and lack of passing was.............the carburator. the newish cam is great, new cats, new carb, runs almost as clean as a prius. i am not kidding on that. goes about 25mpg, tho found out that the HAC is dead when i drove it to reno. -9 degrees around truckee in november and started to loose power around 2800 feet when still about 40 degrees outside. i've read that the compensator opens the bypass ports around 1600 feet. now... just need to replace the unit before may for a trip to reno.