Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Default running rich

I just got a 93 4x4 and have to do the emissions but noticed that the tail pipe is charcole black around the tip, now this is the first Mazda that ive owned and dont know much about them. Its fuel injected and stock, oh and it seems too me that its pretty hard on gas in fact its a pig any help would be great. Also My clutch fan is always on that doesnt seem right to me I mean that it always makes noise that could be adding to my fuel problem maybe.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Default RE: running rich

My 92 B2600 4x4 is a pig on gas, under 15mpg. It always has been and was the reason the first own said he was dumping it. This past month I've been on a quest to try to lean it out. I've put together something to fool the PCM into thinking that it's running much richer that it is. My last fuel consumption test results show that I've worked it up to amazing 16mpg. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. It runs great. I just avoid driving it other than when I need for work. As far as the fan goes, on the 92 it's a mechanical clutch. If it's the same. It should be slipping slightly when it's cold. DON'T TRY TO STOP IT WITH YOUR HAND to see if it's slipping. It's built similar to a torque converter on a automatic transmission. It's got hydraulic fluid in it and valve controlled by the coiled element on the front of the fan. When it's stop, check to see if the element coil is attached to the valve shaft. See if it spins freely(some resistance should be felt from the fluid). Other wise it makes noise.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 PM

Whoops, I almost forgot you want to get by the inspection. Change your plugs, and advance your timing. Change the O2 sensor. Make sure your up to a good operating temp. The PCM has a default mode that gives you a rich mix before the O2 sensor is monitored while your warming up. And if the O2 sensor has failed it's a rich mix.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 AM

You said it right there, I'd start with checking the O2 sensor.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 PM

Well the good news is that it passed the e test, I put a bottle of some garrenteed to pass stuff and wow! it was perfect.! The fuel consumption is the next issue, there has to be something that can be done to make it better.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 PM

That's great that you passed. Now when you figure away to get more MPG, please let us know. My wallet sure could use a break.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 PM

My buddy suggested that I put an electric fan in and take the stock one out, I just might try that. Ive had a few Toyotas with a 22re on 33s and had better fuel miliage than this gets. I pulled my clutch fan out to look at it and it spun freely in my hand so I threw it back in, still does the same thing, I gurantee that ill get better miliage with a working one.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 PM

I took the old fan off, the one with the clutch... i replaced it with an electric one from autozone.. for 75 bucks.. its a 16 inch universal fan... MAZDA TRUCKS ARE NATURALLY GAS DRINKERS

Old 06-27-2006, 09:26 PM

So what where the results, you must of gotten better miliage and a bit more power. I must say though that this Mazda will hold 5th gear agaisnt the wind on the highway which the Toyotas that Ive had could only dream of, its pretty impressive in that respect but the fuel cosumption is rediculous. Ive had this truck for a week now and i put about 300kms on it and its cost me 45 bucks I cant belive it.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 AM

I make that out to be 12 to 13 mpg. Yep, Mazda is a gas hog. If you work on it, you can get it up to 15-16 mpg.

Quick Reply: running rich