Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Problems with new toy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Default Problems with new toy

Bought my truck to drive back and forth to work and to use in place of a ATV. Only paid $1000 for it so I knew it was going to have some issues. So here are some of my problems:

1) The missing CV axle let me know real fast why the 4WD didn't work.

2) The headlights work but the high beams don't. I have already got some advice and am planning on getting the dimmer/combo switch out of a wreck and replacing it.

3) Whenever I push the gas pedal past half throttle the motor bogs to the point it almost shuts it down. If I leave it at half throttle it runs fine but won't go faster than 55 mph.

I replaced the fuel filter and put in a can of Sea Foam, haven't driven it enough to let the Sea Foam run all the way through but its not looking like it fixed the problem.

4) I have found a motor (V6) out of a 98 b4000 or 4400 for $300, and I was just wondering if I could put this in my truck.

Just wondering what to do next.

RW

Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy WAGGZ. Welcome to Mazdaforum!
In order:
1) Get an axle.
2) Before replacing the entire switch assem, make sure the relay is working also.
3) This could be a few things, but they way you are describing the problem sound like a clogged cat to me. If you find that to be the case, the best place I have found for new cats is here.
4) If the guys on Trucks could put an LS1 in a B series, you can certainly install the V6... depending on how much time and trouble you want to go through. In other words, anything is possible, but I would probably leave well enough alone given how you describe your situation.
Hope this helps you out?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM

The Cat has been removed before my purchase.

So I guess finding a later model V6 motor would be better. I want a little more power. But want to go the easiest route.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Unless you are planning a full build, why bother?
It sounds like you plan to use the truck as kind of a DD/beater. Reliability and mileage would be my main concern.
I can tell you from driving several V6 Rangers (not my own) that the mileage is awful and power is not that great either. IMO you would be wasting your time on a 20 yr old beater.
To do the swap you would probably need all new wiring and ECU, trans bracket, you may have to move motor mount locations (but i am not sure about this one,) a complete exhaust sytem, new axles front and rear, or at least new gears. Driveshafts are laible to be different and a multitude of other things I can even begin to think of right now.

I say, save your money. Fix it, drive it, and enjoy it, until you either commit to a full build, or drive it into the ground.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM

could be your fuel pump. also check your assisted timing vacum solinoid, because at high rpm if that things not hooked up to vacuum or not working (the diaphragms in them go bad) as the rpm's raise it would go slightly out of time and make it weaker. The last thing to check is possibly the carb is bad, take the air cleaner element off and make sure that as it throttles the butterfly valve is opening all the way, mine was damaged and would not open all the way and it caused it to do the same thing, but that's probably least likely, although easiest to check.