Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Oil changes often for '87 Mazda B2200 Pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Default Oil changes often for '87 Mazda B2200 Pickup?

I'm thinking about buying an '87 Mazda B2200 Pickup (it'll actually be my first vehicle), and the guy says that "the engine uses about a quart of oil to every tank of gas. As long as you check the oil every time you fill up, you won't have any problems." Is this usual for these Mazda pickups or for pickups in general? To be honest, I am not even sure if this means I have to get an oil change more often or something. Is this usual? A friend of mine thought that maybe there's an oil leak. If anyone can give me more questions to ask the seller, that would be great too. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Default RE: Oil changes often for '87 Mazda B2200 Pickup?

A quart every tank of gas is definetly not normal. However, it is an older vehicle and some oil useage is to be expected. Just not that much. How many miles on the engine? Is there visible blue smoke coming from the tail pipe while it is running?

I would take the truck to a reputable mechanic and have him do a compression test on all four cylinders. This will tell you what kind of shape the engine is in. Low compression usually means oil useage and engine rebuild in the future. Also, pull the dipstick and look to see if the oil is white and murky, similar to the consistancy of a milk shake. This indicates a blown head gasket or cracked block where anitfreeze is getting into the crank case. Again, indications for a need to rebuild the engine. This can be tested with what is called a 'leak down' test where the mechanic pressurises the radiator with compressed air and see's if the air pressure leaks down at all.

If the body is in good shape and the truck drives nice, then you may want to consider rebuilding the engine. I wouldn't pay a whole lot of cash for the truck but it could be decent if everything else is ok. Don't neglect to check the steering linkage, front IFS components, and rear springs and shocks.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:32 PM

Here is a link to the ad:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/car/175454873.html

I am actually going to go look at it today. He's asking $700. The mileage is 162,000 miles and he has replaced these things in the last 6 months: 4 new tires, Front brake pads and rotors, Drive Shaft, Exhaust down pipe, Headlight, Air filter, Spark plugs and wires, Distributor cap and rotor, Fuel Filter. I know people usually take a car they want to buy to a mechanic for a general check-up or for tests, and I don't really know what tests they perform. Is a compression test among the general tests they do? I'm on a really low budget right now, but it's looking like I'm probably going to have to wait a long time and save another 1000 bucks or so.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 PM

I would think that you would have to request that the mechanic perform the compression test. It shouldn't cost more than an hour's labor. 700 bucks sounds decent, but it all depends on how good a shape the truck is mechanically and cosmetically. It wouldn't be a good deal if you needed to sink 15 hundred into the motor right off the start.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I ended up not getting it. But I did wanna add (in case other people are using this topic for help too) that a mechanic at NAPA said that if they find out (like during a pre-purchase inspection) that they need to do a compression or "leak down" test on a car that they would recommend not buying it.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:57 AM

Hmmm......

My 87 B2000 goes thru a quart every 1500 Miles.

Here is whats wrong with mine: (may very well be whats wrong with yours)

Valve stem seals leak oil, therefore it gets burned in the cylinder, creating blue smoke. (may require removal of the cylinder head to repair....Also with bad stem seals, the engine will smoke only when first started in the morning)

If you are fairly confident with your mechanical abilities, you could rebuilt the cylinder head your self.

Valve cover gasket seaps oil. (Easy fix, plus you could adjust the valve lash at the that time as well)

If your engine smokes all the time, cold or warm, it may be time to rebuild the engine.

This you could do yourself as well, with some good tools and a repair manual.

Also, for more help check out www.mazdatruckin.com

I am in there too......

Old 07-01-2006, 05:38 AM

Hey Poorboy...thanks for the link to the great site...

Old 07-02-2006, 01:09 AM

Hey Poor Boy! My '87 4 banger wont start on its own. I have to prime it, then, it runs fine. Any ideas on what I need to
check so it'l start without this assist? Thanks! - Jerry

Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM

try changing the valve guides and seals...after a while oil will get passed and you will burn oil that way..also that will help the start up to easier...prob less smoke. and if its still burning that much oil afterwards...sounds like you need new piston rings on there...rebuild kits are about 400...get a manual for about 20 bucks...valve seals and guides, you need to take the cam and valve springs off..easy job to do yourself..just takes a bit of time..and saves your *** a whole lotta cash if that lessens the oil consumption.