Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

New Guy...Old Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Default New Guy...Old Truck

Hi Mazda enthusiasts. This is my first post about my first Mazda (unless you count a 76 Courier I owned about 15 yrs ago).
Last weekend I picked up an 89 B2600i 4x4 to use as a daily driver. The cat I bought it from had butchered-up the ignition lock cylinder and had been starting it with a screwdriver for I-don't-know how long. Sunday night the screwdriver trick stopped working...with the truck running. Now I've FUBAR'd the ign switch, but at least its not still running. Man, those are a couple of EXPENSIVE parts to break. I've got a used switch w/ wiring and lock cylinder w/key(s) on its way, hopefully it'll be here by tomorrow. Looks like a pretty straight forward install once ya get past the plastic-y plastic shrouding on the column...nuts, bolts, and a couple of plug-in connectors. Anything I need to watch out for...besides NOT breaking the little plastic tabs that hold the switch together?

So far I'm liking the truck, I drove it around all day Sunday til I broke the switch. It's pretty scuzzy and full of dog hair so there's some heavy duty cleaning to be done still. I plan on changing out the major fluids this weekend because I'm sensing some neglect on the previous owner's part. Oh, and now the clutch is making that weird buzzing noise when pushed down. Throwout bearing? I'll probably be putting a clutch kit in it before long. I've read that its easier to pull the motor than drop the trans...true?

Any recommendations on parts, fluids, or reading?

Thanks,
Jonny Y.