Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

New B2200 owner with a ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Default New B2200 owner with a ?

I recenty purchased an 89 B2200. (I had a 86 B2000 years ago and it was fun to drive and very dependable) The 89 2200 had 38k original miles on it and looked great so I couldn't pass it up (no salt/rust out here). However, it has an intermittent problem. Will be running perfect, then it starts to hesitate (like engine is cutting out for just a few seconds with loss of power, or lack of fuel). It acted like this for about 20 miles last night. I stopped at a store and when started it ran perfect. I drove it for about 20 miles with absolutely no problems. This morning when started it was still fine, on the way to do an errand it started acting up again, came out, started it and it was fine... I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel/air filter and PCV valve right after I bought it as they all looked original. The old guy who owned it and recently passed away only drove it about 1K a year for the past 10 years, so I was thinking the carb might be gummed up (but that would'nt explain the intermittent nature of the problem). Any suggestions/troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated !!!

Gary

Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Default RE: New B2200 owner with a ?

Sounds like its your computer. Had similar problem with mine. Driving along it would go to a idle and not pick up fuel. Shut the truck off for a minute and then it would work perfectly. I sent my computer to www.avproecm.com and the repair fixed my trucks problems. Check it out. Newt

Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM

The ECU might be a common problem on the B2600i but its usually not on a B2200 unless its fuel injected in which case it might share the same problems as the B2600i. If it is carbureted it is most likely a problem in the carb control systems or emission controls. The carb is a feedback design and no car fitted with a feedback carb went without drivability problems. Testing most of the compents is rather involved and would probably require a dozen posts just to touch on it so I will post a couple links to get you started.

Fuel and Emission System

The information on that link is not complete but is a start.

Here is another link:
Vacuum Diagram

Although you don't have symptoms of a vacuum leak there could be a leak controlling a component that only happens when a solenoid opens. This may cause the component to not function properly and mess up carb fuel ratio.

Here is a link where there is a lot to read:
2nd Gen B2200/B2000s

Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info/links... I will check them out. I will als o be picking up a dwell meter next week to see if I can detect a sticking fuel mixture soleniod. The truck has a "feedback carb" and from these and resposes to previous post it sure sounds like it could be the culprit. i did't know they were so problematic (the 86 B2000 I had went 160K with no carb problems at all). I found a pinched vacuum hose and the oxygen sensor wire was bare/frayed were it was routed through a bracket on the back of the engine. But those repairs didn't make any difference. Curious if anyone has had experience with replacing the carb with a rebuilt one from national carbs?

Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM

hi
think i know what is the problem.. its 2 fold..first i was getting a fine brown powder from gas tank,put 2 gf12 filters in line.change once in awhile.. 2nd is the ignition switch goes bad when you go to start then back off it stalls but if you quicky jiggle it back from start it will run. but if you have heavy key ring it will cut out just when you need to pull out or swerve.damn switch is $168.00 i put seperate run switch.fixed the problem.and cheated the high priced ripoff artists!!

hehe

hope this helps ya.

ten