Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Need advice badly B-2200 1992

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Default Need advice badly B-2200 1992

Hi mazdaforums this is my second post!

Anyways i just got off work went to start my truck. It started (winter in Canada so i let it run for a bit, not a cold day though) finished the rest of my 10 minute shift. went out notice my truck has stopped running. Keys still in the ignition switched to on. i try start it twice more, nothing.

My friend comes to boost me. Its turning over and the battery is fine. But it IS NOT FIRING... There is more than a half tank of fuel in it and the starter is fine. i just had the alternator replaced about a month and a half ago too.

Any ideas or general consensus to this? My last post was answered on here so i hope it can be answered again

Its a 1992 standard extended cab plus 2.2 litre 5 speed grey model

Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Banned

1992? Do you have a distributor cap and wires? If you do this could be the problem. It may be wet and/or have worn contacts. Time to replace if you do. If ignition distributor cap and rotor don't help, change ignition wires.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Guten Tag, hellohibonjourola!

So we really don't know why the engine died or what happened during the warm up period. You are now bsically looking at a no-start condition.

A few questions first: how many kilometers agodid you change the spark plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap?
How long ago did you change the fuel filter?
When you try to start can you hear the fuel pump making sounds?
Do you recall if the engine was warm when you found is stopped?

I assume this is a fuel injected engine.

To get the engine running you need air, spark, fuel and compression. I would first focus on spark and fuel.

As the next step I would look at the plugs to see if they are wet, or generally in good shape.
Maybe the ignition switch is worn out.
Also just probe around for anything obvious: disconnect and reconnect all harnesses you can get to.
Trace all vacuum hoses and look for cracks and damages of any kind. Clean the battery contacts and make sure the ground connections are clean and free of corrosion. Have a look at the fuses.

Now you could try to start and see if you get spark.

If you have a nice strong spark go to the fuel system. Use a piece of garden hose or a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to the fuel injectors. Check the fuel pressure.

Good luck and report back.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM

thanks guys! I do not know much about vehicles but this is very helpful. It was gifted to me from the grandparents. They are away on a trip right now though, about another month gone. So i am really unsure of the condition of the spark plugs and ect. Now i have a good idea or somewhat when talking to a mechanic about this

when it does get figured out ill post what the issue was.

thx again

Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM

So it turned out to be my spark plugs. I cleaned them it started fine!

I just have a question about spark plugs now. What kind should I buy to put in? It is a fuel injected truck, 2.2 litre. Can I still find spark plugs for a 92 Mazda?

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Absolutely! you can get new spark plugs even for the Model T!

Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Put in your vehicle information.
A proper ignition tune up should also include a set of new plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.
Don't buy any fancy hyped up plugs. Look what was in there originally and get the exact same plugs or something really close to them.