Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Mazda BT-50 - first impressions + questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Default Mazda BT-50 - first impressions + questions

Recently I bought a Mazda BT-50 Freestyle. It's my first Mazda and here are my first impressions (price was (USD equivalent) 29,600 + VAT). Focus on things that "irritates" me:

- Basically, it is a wonderful truck. So far, not much driving in terrain. It'll come. Goes smothly, very limited sound from road and wind. No regrets at all.

- First gas consumption: 1.0 l/10 km = 23 mpg (mixed driving). More than expected, but I gues it'll go down after a few hundred miles?

- Bad car key. The "unlock" and "lock" buttons are same size and close to each other. No difference in sound when locking/unlocking the doors. Especially hard to handle in low light conditions. Maybe I get used to it.

- Not as good sound in 6-speakers stereo as expected. I guess I'll change the speakers and maybe also the stereo.

- It is obvious that a "world version" of the BT-50 is built and then adapted to each country afterwards:

o Tacky solution for heating rear window. The cords are coming out of two drilled holes in the plastic. And very simple connection to the heating thing on the window. Looks very home-made.

o In Sweden there is law to have the front lights on, even at day time. In a normal Swedish car, the lights goes on when turning the key. And that also goes for the instrument lights. On Mazda BT-50 market adaptation, the instrument lights do not turn on when turning the key. This is a thing I'll get used to - but it is awkward. The guys making the adaptation could have asked a Swede how this normal goes in Sweden.

- The Swedish manual seems to have been translated by someone who is not 100% competent on cars/trucks. The section on the 4WD system is not very clear written.

Anyhow. I am very happy with the BT-50 and I am sure it will become a good friend. For the 4WD, I will use it to transport short timber ( 3 meters / 10 feet) from a few hundred yards from the road.

Do anyone know if the tailgate is open, does it (the tailgate) manage to take some load? (In my case, 3 meter timber that will reach 1-3 feet out from the car (and therefore also rest on the open tailgate). It feels like it will handle this, but anyone with experience?

Regarding the speakers. Anyone has changed the standard speakers (or stereo) with something high end? What have you chosen?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Yeah, when will America get this truck? The B-series trucks suck.