Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Mazda 2600 wont start cold

Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Default Mazda 2600 wont start cold

OK I work at a auto salvage yard/auto shop, and got a 92 B-2600 4x4 ext cab 5 speed, that i am looking to try and buy.

Will not start in the morning without starting fluid. Will start after that ussually, sometimes not if it sets too long. Runs ok, not great, seems a little weak for a 2.6 and has a bad dead spot around 35 mph.

Has brand new plugs wires cap rotor, and mass air flow is brand new, also looks like they replaced the temp sensor.

Checked timing, not sure about what to do to connect the idle testeras it says on decal, but it was on 6 without doing anything to it. Compression was 175 per cylinder.

when it is running the exhaust smells bad, but it has blown the tailpipe off right behind the convertor.
When I first got it in, it would hot start. I was doing all the normal checks fire fuel compresion. While i was checking the timing it started to hit a little, then it would almost run. I figured the timing was off, or something in the dizzy. When i got it where it was real close to running, i gave i a shot of fluid, and it fired right up, it tried to die a few times, and i gave it a quick shot to keep it going. After about a minute it ran on its own.

It goes down the highway good, seems weak getting up to speed compared to my ranger 2.3, and when in town around 35 it really gets to missing and carring on. Give it a little gas, and it ok, it seams to be just in the one spot.

Says its been like this for awhile, just gotten worse recently, said he took it to dealer once before, but they never had trouble strating it cause they kept it inside, and it was not as sensative at the time. Any ideas??

I really like the truck, and could live with the starting prob, but the weakness and miss i dont know.

I need something easier on gas and good to drive to the truck pulls, in place of my full size 10mpg bronco. Doesnt need to be a powerhouse, but good runnig and dependable, as its 3hrs one way to the pulls i officiate.

And help suggestions recomendations welcomed and thanked very much.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Default RE: Mazda 2600 wont start cold

tried more today, someone suggested that i put my hand over the throttle body and see if it would start, no.

Starting fluid will get in running, but you got to stay with it and nurse it to keep it running til its warm.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Administrator

and how long does it take before it will run by itself? sounds to me like the choke isnt working...

Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 PM

no chock, its a 92 efi. After a minute or so it will run ok. Guy said it used to run great once you got it warm, i do need to get a manual and set the timing, I moved the dizzy while trying to get it started, and dont know where/how to disable the timing to set it, but its on 6 now.