Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

I've got a couple problems, so that brings a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Default I've got a couple problems, so that brings a couple questions.

I've got an 89 B2200 with about 91k on it. It's a 5spd and when I'm just cruising in whatever gear I'm in, the check engine light comes on. As soon as I take my foot of the gas, it goes off. This isn't something that happens occassionally, it happens everytime I'm driving. But it only first turns on a couple seconds after I shift into a gear.

Second problem is, the other day I took the e-brake off and the light just stayed on. I just bought this truck a couple months ago and have never experienced this problem with it since I've bought it until a the other day. As far as I know, the brake isn't staying engaged when I take it off, just the light stays on.

And this isn't a problem but a question, I need to replace my clutch slave cylinder sometime soon because it's leaking pretty bad. Anybody ever done this on one of these trucks? Is it hard? Is this something that me and a friend who don't know anything about Mazdas (we're mainly Honda and DSM guys) could do pretty easily?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Default RE: I've got a couple problems, so that brings a couple questions.

Need to find out what failure code is being stored when the CEL comes on. Would guess it will probably be a code 16 for EGR problem. Might want to at least check and make sure the vacuum line is connected up to the EGR valve below the carburetor area.
To get codes you need to locate a GREEN colored single wire connector which should be in the passenger side rear corner of engine compartment. Use a jumper wire to ground that connector and then turn ignition key to "run" position. CEL should start flashing you a code. Once long flash, pause, 6 short flashes and then repeat would be a code 16. 3 long flashes, pause, 4 short flashes and then repeat would be a code 34 for example. Try that and see what code # you get.
Really only a couple of things that could cause your brake light to stay on. Low brake fluid level, sunk level float, or sensor could keep the light on at the master cylilnder. Unplug the two wire connector at the brake master cylinder and if light goes off then it is in that area. If not then check the parking brake switch and make sure it is not stuck. Single wire connector at parking brake with Brown w/ White stripe wire in it grounds right to the body to turn light on there.
Clutch slave cylinder can be easily replaced with a 12mm socket to unbolt it and 17mm flare-nut wrench to take off the hydraulic line. Sits right on the bellhousing so is easily accessable.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:27 PM

My e-brake light occasionaly stays on, it usally happens in a quick release gotta get going attitude, but it's completly released, try pressing it all the way down and then slowly pulling the release until it stops, thats how I got mine to stop. It only occasionaly does it on my 98 b4000.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 PM

Well I figured out why mine was on. I looked at the brake fluid level in my master cylinder and it was really low, lol. So I filled it up and it went away.