Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Interesting development

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Default Interesting development

Lasy July the serpentine belt on my B3000, 3.0 litre V6 started squeaking. I was advised to try soap (I used Zest) on the edges of the belt and if the problem went away them the belt was out of alignment on a pully. The problem persisted so I took the truck to a Mechanic (that I have known for 20 years ) for his opinion. It turned out that is was the belt and tensioner, which is common for the 3.0, so I had him change it for me as I didn't have the time. Everything was fine until Jan4/2008. I went to take the truck to work and had a "surging problem" (described in a previous post) and the belt was squeaking again. I went back to the same mechanic and had him take another look at the belt and pulley as well as fix the surge problem. It turns out the tensioner is ok BUT the belt ( which was purchased at a Mazda Dealership) had streched just a touch. He has replaced the belt with one made by Goodyear and the truck is running perfectly.
HERE IS THE KICKER... the mechanic covered the belt under warranty??? After almost 7 months of use he replaced the belt for nothing.
Maybe there is some good mechanics out there after all!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Interesting development

For me, CarQuest replaced for free a serpentine belt for my Suburban which had age cracks and an alternatorbelt for my Mazda B2200 which broke after 6 months because both said CarQuest on them. Not too shabby, and took me by surprise! Gates belts by the way.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Fantastic.
The Gates name is something I havn't seen up here much lately. I remember my Dad back in the 60's insisting on Gates belts for the vehicles. He swore by them.
Have a Good One!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM

I only use Gates belts and hoses, obtain them from CarQuest. I've also been OK with Goodyear or Dayco, I don't use house brands. I'd probably be OK with NAPA as well.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM

With any luck this Goodyear will last a while. Will keep those other brands in mind though.
Thank you