Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

headlight dimmer switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Default headlight dimmer switch

I have a 91 mazda b2200 with the extended cab. It has a 2.2 carb and auto transmission. I need to replace the headlight dimmer switch. When you dim or change from dim to bright it trys to go off or fluctuates until it gets bright.Anyway I have not seen the inside of the steering column and was wondering what was involved. I was also wondering if the wires are connected through a plug or do you have to run the wires down the steering column like older vehicles. It looks like since it does not have a airbag all I have to do is pull the steering wheel then I may be able to just remove the screws out of the switch and replace it. I looked online at a switch and it looked like it just plugged in. How long would it probably take ,a couple of hours ,half a day or all day? Is there any thing I should look out for?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM

That switch is just a contact switch, the actual job is done by the headlight relay. Of course the contacts can get dirty and need cleaned, or maybe the terminal connections just need to be unplugged, then plugged back in.

There's a small harness for this, a part of the complete ignition switch harness, cabled tied together. This should be a 90 minute job at most, take off the covers, maybe the steering wheel (use a puller). I only did the electrical switch once, about 12 years ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM

I had sprayed contact cleaner i use and it got it to working again. I must have put too much in it the other day because it smoked some. But after that its fine. I have had to spray it about once a year but it usually stops acting up. I was thinking about fixing it if it was not to expensive or a pain ot replace. I checked the price of a new one $ 250+ and thats way too much. Since it smoked and burned off the extra contact cleaner it has worked fine. I am not sure how long I will even keep the truck. I wish I could find one identical to it for parts but I have not found one. If I did I would probably keep it. The body is in perfect shape, not a dent and never had any. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by willy3486; 08-22-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM

I forgot to replay back until now. Anyway It done it a few times, once they went out as I was going around a curve headed for a rock side that had been cut out for the road. I just got tired of that. I checked it advance and orieleys locally and they wanted to sell me the entire switch for almost 300 bucks. But at auto zone they could get just the switch and not the entire assembly for 50. So I went that route and it works perfectly now. So if you need one don't waste time at advance or others just go to auto zone.