Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

ford 5.0 what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Default ford 5.0 what do ya think?

i have come across a great deal an excellent running 302 with auto trans wiring and radiator for 150 bucks what is involved with the swap into my 86 b-2000 found mounts and cross members. i have a few ideas about what is needed just dont wanna miss anything!

Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Default RE: ford 5.0 what do ya think?

i think youl need a tougher rearend/driveshaft...also, it is probably ALOT heavier than the stock motor, so youll want to think abot beefing up the suspension.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 PM

Do it! The kit you need is available at Ultimate Customs. www.ultimatecustoms.ca I have an 88 that is getting a small block chev. It is way easier than you would think. I agree the rear end wil need to be beefed up. 79 bronco rear is the one I have. You will need a custom shaft anyway. I heard from a guy that has a 406 in his that he ran his factory rear end for over a year before it got loose...I dont know Im changing mine. I wish I could have come accross a cheap stang to rape parts from. I would kill to have a distributor that I can get too, but Im a chevy guy and I have lots of them. Good luck and enjoy that ride.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 PM

the 79 bronco axle will fit width wise? is it not to wide?

Old 06-18-2005, 10:02 AM

I'm doin a 5.0 conversion on my 94 B3000. You're going to need alot of stuff for this conversion, and alot of fabricating is gonna need to be done. To my knowledge you need, motor mounts, custom shaft, if you're planning on using a 5-Speed you're going to have to cut holes in the floorboard for the shifter to clear, custom radiator, oil filter relocation kit, might have to ding some places up for clearance, etc. I heard that if you get a 2" body lift, that things should clear without a problem, but I'm not sure.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:33 PM

it is definately a worth while conversion provided what you want is to go really fast. major stuff other than the motor mounts and custom driveshaft are lots of time.............there will be a few problems with clearance here and there, particularly the tranny tunnel and the firewall. And the must is a much more heavier duty suspension on the front end..........as fas the the rearend, you can leave the rearend in place that is currently there, and provided you dont dog the crap out of it, it will last a lifetime, the main downside to the stock rearend is the lower gearing that is in place, not to mention no posi traction, therefore you will usually spin just the rear passenger tire when you peel out. Just remember take your time, there will definately be frustrating points, but do it right the first time and it will last a lifetime, and you have over twice the horsepower you came stock with. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep us posted on the outcome and progress and if you have throw some pictures out, and if you are unsure of anything at all, post with us to get some answers.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here... I'm contemplating the same swap. any info helps, and I'll post info as I find it. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:48 PM

This is a common swap. You will need to aquire engine mounts and modify the cross member for the stock tranny to mount the ford tranny up to. Mazda trucks 1993 and earlier are not fords so don't count on anything bolting right up. You will need a driveshaft yoke to mate up to the ford tranny and have a custom driveshaft made. The stock rearend is more than capable of handling a 302. It is built just like a ford 9" except it is only 7 3/4". The stock front suspension should be ok with the extra weight but I recommend atleast getting some aftermarket spindles and some better tortion bars from Sway-away. Many ppl arn't fond of AIM industries but I can say the drop spindles they sell are well more than capable of handling the extra weight. Stiffer shocks would be recommended because of the extra weight wanting to cause the front end to bounce a lot. You will want to replace all your fuel lines with a larger line because the stock fuel system won't handle the volume of fuel the V8 will need. Doing some modifications to the rear suspesnion would also be wise, if you keep all the same setup with the leaf springs I would atleast add some traction bars or some sort of bump stop on the pumpkin to prevent driveline bind. That will probably only be a problem with much wider tires in the back because if you keep the stock ones you'll just burn them off and never have worry about breaking anything.

Really when you do a mod like this you need to analyse the entire truck and try to think of everything that will change.

K6

Old 07-18-2005, 12:49 AM

mine is a 1994, any difference?