Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Engine Swap Expertise Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Default Engine Swap Expertise Needed

I'm considering an engine swap and would like to hear any and all opinions, advice, caveats, etc. I've got an '89 b2600i SE-5 4x4 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago for a very reasonable price...450 bux to be exact...not bad. The truck runs well enough, but at almost 190k I don't expect that little 4 popper to last a whole lot longer. From what I can tell rebuilding one of these engines can get pretty expensive pretty dang quick, just like any rebuild can. What I'd like to do is replace it (when it goes) with something more akin to what I'm familiar with, that being an OHV, single cam, pushrod engine. I'm not wanting a V8 swap, I was thinking more along the lines of a Chevy 4.3 or even a 2.8 (feh), or even the 4 cyl they used in the S-10s. Those engines are available and, more importantly, I understand and am familiar w how they work. Understanding that a later model f.i. unit would need the computer and harness, I figured that my truck, having a manual would be a good swap candidate w/out the need for a compatible ECU to control the trans...I'd like to keep the 5-sp.
Motor mounts can be made if not bought, driveshafts and exhaust can be customized, but bolting the trans up could be sticky. Anyone got advice? I ask this knowing that brand loyalty runs deep and some purists will likely think I'm defiling or otherwise dumping on Mazda's engines...I'm not. I'm really just looking for ease of maintainence and some familiarity.

Thanks,
Jon K

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Obviously, you like a challenge! The 2.6 Mazda engine might indeed be difficult to find. But I cannot imagine it making sense to completely rebuild the truck.

At your cost basis, drive it until it dies, then buy another truck.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Being realistic...yeah, that's the most likely outcome. I just have a hard time throwing anything away that might still be "fixable".

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM

you ought to see my garage!!!!!
It is full of junk that seems fixable; and my vehicles are in the driveway.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Default 89 b2600

You got your truck so cheap you can't go wrong. It uses the Mazda built "G6", 2.6 liter engine. What I would do is go buy another B2600 - rebuild its engine while driving yours. Watch out what you buy, cause the older B2600 used a Mitsubishi 2.6 engine, which is different.

It's not that expensive to rebuild the old Mazda engines. I have an 89 B2200, and the kit for my 2.2 is only $212, including pistons. I think it's well worth it if it allows you to keep driving the same truck forever - as I do.
JT

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Mmkay. I thought mine had the Mitsu 2.6. Are there some external visual clues to help me be sure? I've seen "Mitsubishi" stamped in a couple of places, but they might have been bolt-on pieces, brand co-mingling, using Mitsu's electronics, something like that. The rebuild kit I saw recently was over $700, which I thought was excessive...that's V8 territory by a pretty good margin. I have to admit I kinda stopped looking after I saw that. I do like the truck, and wouldn't want to see it get scrapped just cuz the engine went south. I'll have to keep my eyes open for someone parting one out w a decent motor. Can't trust the bone-yard around here.
What about similar-year car engines? I see old 626s selling for a couple hundred bucks, usually with transmission failures or cv joint/axle problems, neither of which concern me. Naturally these will be higher mileage models, but its good to know what the options are....I'm a Mazda noob for sure.

Last edited by Jonnyuma; 10-01-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM

This might be past its worth, but the Mazda 2600 is the G54B Mitsubishi 2.6 engine and the 2600i is the G6 Mazda 2.6 engine. I think the intake manifolds are on opposite sides - G54B Mitsu engine intake manifold is on the drivers side - G6 Mazda engine intake manifold is on the passenger side. The side of the block will be marked with either G54B or G6. All 2600i G6 engines are EFI (fuel injected) and all Mitsu G54B engines are carbureted.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:06 AM

Naaah, I'm still here...watching....waiting....

Thanks, Spacemonkee. Mine's an injected '89 so I guess its a Mazda motor. That's just fine with me, the only thing I don't like is the cost of replacement. Any good info on what other brands/makes also used this engine? From what I've read its used in a LOT of different vehicles, I just need to find one that would be compatible.

When I was at the junkyard last week I saw exactly 0 B trucks there...weird.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnyuma
Naaah, I'm still here...watching....waiting....

Thanks, Spacemonkee. Mine's an injected '89 so I guess its a Mazda motor. That's just fine with me, the only thing I don't like is the cost of replacement. Any good info on what other brands/makes also used this engine? From what I've read its used in a LOT of different vehicles, I just need to find one that would be compatible.

When I was at the junkyard last week I saw exactly 0 B trucks there...weird.
The G6 2.6 engine (in the states) was only used in 1988-1993 Mazda B2600i and 1989-1996 Mazda MPV (4 banger models of course)

You may be thinking of the 2.2 F2 (B2200 engine) that was used in quite a few other cars: Mazda 929, 626, MX-6, B2200 and the ford probe.

This website has a ton of information specifically for the B2600i.

B2600i.com | Mazda Truck ECMs, Parts, Troubleshooting for B2600i B2600 B2200 B2000. Engine Control Modules, ECM ECU, Brain Box, New & Used Parts, & Repair

Also, if you haven't already, check out Mazdatrucking.com Forum and mazdabscene they are packed full of information and Mazda B-series experts. I am on both sites using the same screen name.

That is interesting about your JY where do you live... here in California we have a few at the local yards but they rotate stock so frequently that its hard to catch the good ones before they are crushed.

A common problem with the 2600i is the ECM (located behind the passenger side kick panel) commonly fails due to leaking capacitors, specifically leaking onto the fuel injector circuit on the main board. This pretty much happens to ALL 2600i engines sooner or later. So keep an eye out for the symptoms if you haven't had this issue yet. (it is possible that it has already been repaired by the previous owner)

If your ECM holds up you can run that engine over 300,000mi if you maintain it well enough. I would pull your ECM out and take a look-see if the caps are leaking. Read through this thread on mazdabscene.com that has some common symptoms and repair solutions.

mazdabscene.com • View thread - b2.6 liter stumbles on acceleration any1 know Y?

I hope you get a long operating period out of it. Good Luck.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Question Engine swap

I am planning to put a small block Chevy in my 89b2600i and I want to keep it 4 wheel drive. Has any one done this successfully? I know that the frame will need to be reenforced. I plan to use a 700R4 trains. and a np208 transfer case. Any advise is apreaciated.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Expertise Needed