Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Engine leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Default Engine leaking

I have a 91 b2200 truck that has a auto transmission. The engine was from a mazda car. I think it was almost the same as original, it was replaced before I got it. When I go to by parts for the engine the parts listed as original will work. Here is what is going on. I have a oil leak that is not enough to park it until its fixed but enough I have to check it often. I had a mechanic to look at it but he didn't do anything to it, he was in a hurry. It looks to be leaking somewhere in the front. He said that his guess was he would need to replace the gasket around the timing chain and the gasket over the valve covers. But like I said he didn't do more than just a look at it. Anyway I am wondering about the timing chain leaking if it even could be coming from there. I am wondering If I got a new gasket for the valve cover and took it off then torqued the bolts that hold the head down and then put the new gasket on. I am wondering if it is from that more. The engine runs great and I really don't want to trade it in. You can't kill the thing. I haven't cleaned the engine off yet to see where it is exactly coming from, I have always been leary of spraying one down and I don't want to make it worse. I thought about washing the area off with dish detergent and a paint brush. So where do these engines tend to leak from? As far as retightening the bolts on the head I am all up to it. But I probably will just wait if it needs the timing chain stuff taken off until I can save the cash up . Any thoughts folks?

Last edited by willy3486; 06-18-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Default leaky engine

I had a leak similar to your. I discovered it was coming from the distributor. There is a seal at the bottom end of the shaft and in time it tends to leak. I went to the dealer and got one, problem solved.
You may want to look or check the distributor area before you order the seal.

Good Luck.
Josef

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM

The valve cover gasket tends to leak. So does the seal under the mechanical fuel pump (yours may have electric pump since yours is automatic). These both can be tightened, had to do so on mine. I've also replaced the distribuor O-ring like described above; however, you need to know how to mark/install a distributor for that. Also, there is a camshaft seal and a crankshaft seal (same part used) under the timing belt, these can also leak.

I've never had any issues washing off an engine to find a leak.