Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Choke Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Default Choke Trouble

Hello,

I have a feeling this Q has been asked before, but I am new to Mazda forums and after searching for a couple hours I could not find this question EXACTLY.

I have a 1986 Mazda b2000 and the choke seems to want to stick open. As a result I cannot start the truck unless I close the choke with my finger and unless I hold the choke closed it just opens again and the truck will not keep running. I have checked all of the linkage and it all looks fine, though linkage related suggestions are welcome. I have not EVER made any adjustments to the linkage or the choke and this is the first time I have had any trouble with it. I have also checked all vaccum lines and all are connected and seem to be in fairly good condition (for an old truck). This truck has only 111,000km on it and to my knowledge has not had ANY major need for repair. My best guess is that the electric choke is not working.

Thanks very much,
Matt

Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Default RE: Choke Trouble

ORIGINAL: matty_87

Hello,

I have a feeling this Q has been asked before, but I am new to Mazda forums and after searching for a couple hours I could not find this question EXACTLY.

I have a 1986 Mazda b2000 and the choke seems to want to stick open. As a result I cannot start the truck unless I close the choke with my finger and unless I hold the choke closed it just opens again and the truck will not keep running. I have checked all of the linkage and it all looks fine, though linkage related suggestions are welcome. I have not EVER made any adjustments to the linkage or the choke and this is the first time I have had any trouble with it. I have also checked all vaccum lines and all are connected and seem to be in fairly good condition (for an old truck). This truck has only 111,000km on it and to my knowledge has not had ANY major need for repair. My best guess is that the electric choke is not working.
Sounds like your choke is stuck. Doesthe choke butterflyspring back when you move it by hand (it should) ? If it's just stuck, I'd first try aerosol choke cleaner such as Gumout.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Default RE: Choke Trouble

Well it looks like you were right. It has been sitting a while (a good year) so last night I got some carb cleaner and used about half a can on the carb/choke. After keeping it running (either by giving it gas or holding the choke closed) for a few minutes it FINALLY ran by itself, pretty well flawlessly in low and high idle. Hopefully I will be able to say the same for today.

Thanks for your reply.

Matt