Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

changed clutches

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Default changed clutches

ok followed the haynes manual for changing out the clutches on my 1991 b2600i. manual tranny 4 wheel drive.. well while sliding the tranny transfer case back in under the truck i noticed a small pill capsule hunk of metal laying there.. its about 3/8 inch long rounded on both ends.. any ideas what the heck it could be?? the only places it coulda came from woulda been the top where the stickshifts go into the transfer case OR the backup switch hole OR the 4 wheel indicator hole on the transfer case?? any ideas folks?!?!?!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Default RE: changed clutches

Sounds like a shift rod lock. Did you take bolts out of the side of the trans? Some have springs and locks behind them. The shift rods have grooves in them for the locks to fit into so the trans will not shift into 2 gears at once.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 PM

no bolts out of the tranny or the transfer case at all. like i said the only case violations was removal of the sticks (the gear and the 4-wheel selector stick) and the reverse indicator switch and the 4-wheel indicator switch from the transfer case. so it has got to be from there, did they use some sort of "extention" for the switches for these things? this is almost what it looks like is a fatter longer switch end... everyone of my mechanic friends who i have spoke to on this said they have never ran into something like this anywhere..

Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 AM

Look inside the holes that the switch's came out of. The switch's have a small spring loaded plunger that hit a shift rod,possibly your switch came apart and that is the piece that fell out of the switch. If not then measure to be sure it is not an extension for the switch. Clutch disc's also have several pieces similar to what you describe but it sounds too small to be one of those. It also has a pilot bearing with small rollers but they would be smaller i would think and i am sure you replaced the pilot bearing?

Old 10-06-2007, 02:17 PM

ok i found it.. its an extention piece for the reverse switch!! i waiting till it was a bit more light out where i was working on the beast and looked up inside and poped it in... yes you did the same thing i was doing, maybe this, nope too big, maybe that nope too small.. hahha.. yeah changed the pilot of course, it was a ball berring in a cage type berring not rollers though, go figure.. i had also thought of it could have possably been a locator pin for the bell housing, but the ends were too rounded off.. but either way thanks hixx for coming back to me with a fresh mind on the problem!!