Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Change my rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Default Change my rear end?

Okay guys and gals, I'm looking for any advise here, even it's it's just where to start. I think I want to change my rear... the one on my truck that is.

I drive 90 to 100 miles round trip to work, daily on a dirt/gravel road over the prairie and up between two mountians in North Central Montana. Traffic jams for me include range cows, deer, antelope and Elk. I have a 1990, B2200 extended cab, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed that I power through snow, blizzards, high winds, mud, rain, blazing sun and the entire range of severe Montana weather conditions.

I don't use my truck to haul cargo, so I don't need the low gears and the hauling capacity. I use the truck for my daily commute for the following reasons: It's light and gives good Gas mileage; The long wheel base gives me stability on the gravel, especially on the curves (it slides nicely, but won't flip); It's a truck so the roads don't rattle it to pieces. I have to change out the wiring yearly (the gravel destroys it) plus even with mud flaps over my rear shocks the gravel smashes those on a regular basis, but a car would be toast in no time; It's a light as some cars, but unlike cars sits high enough to give me the ground clearance I need (cars bottom out on these roads). I don't use a full size truck (even though I also own a full size 4X4 Suburban), because of the fuel they suck pulling up and down the widing roads...where I work is at 3,600 feet. Where I live is at a some what lower altitude. The mountain tops hit short of 8,000 feet.

So, since I don't need the low gears (all I haul is myself and emergency tools and gear) I wonder if I can gain fuel efficiency at speeds above 45 by changing the gear ratio in the rear end so that instead of doing about 45 mph at 2K on the tack I'd like to be doing closer to 60 or 70 at 2K on the tach. I have noted that at about 2K the fuel efficeincy is fine. Depending on raod and weather conditions I use between 3.8 and 4.2 gallons a day. If I go up to about 3K on the tack...I get back and forth faster, but use an extra gallon and more a day. Over a year that adds up.

My question is, can I do a straight swap of the differential for one from one in the Mazda line of cars? If so, which car with what differential? Or, can I buy the gears and upgrade the differential? If I'd can change out the gears...what ratio would I need and what gears would I need to achieve it? For that matter how can I determine the ration I now have?

If anyone has any idea where I can start I'd appreciate the help. I will be communting for another two years here, so I think it would be sensible for me to invest some money in an upgrade that would save me some fuel costs. Maybe some one has an even better idea? If you have any ideas or just comments I'd love to hear from you. Please send me what ever you've got.

signed,

Montana