Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Default blue smoke

Hi I just bought a 1990 Mazada b2200 2whdr 144250 kms for $4000.00.

The dealer replaced the head gasket, changed the oil and valve stem seals because it was burning oil. There is a lot of blue smoke on start up after it has been sitting for a few days, but once it has run for a while it stops. Does the truck need further valve work?

T

Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Usually the oil rings and usually carbon accumulation in the rings. You can try Seafoam to decarbon it. Pour some in the crankcase and some in the gas tank. I have had alot of success decarboning them but it takes time. I have never seen valve seals fix a smoking problem on those.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM

i have the same truck and i have the same problem and ive tryed all the additives the DONT work in those trucks if its not the gaskst its the head and if its the head it would have cracked internally usually in cylender two or three the only thing that will slow the smoking is a heaver oil but it will only slow the proses it will not stop it

Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder if they did valve guides also? It doesn't sound like it from your description of the symptoms. If they were bad and they only replaced the seals as a quick fix it's not going to solve the problem. If the valves are allowed to move side-to-side in a worn out guide it will wear out the new seals at an accelerated rate. This allows oil to pass and sit on the valve top until the engine is started again. As it burns off, the smoke goes away.
It sounds to me like that's what's happening.
Quote: "There is a lot of blue smoke on start up after it has been sitting for a few days, but once it has run for a while it stops."

Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Rings and i have fixed over a dozen that smoked with additives. Zero success with valve seals/guides. If they don't clean up with additives then it will need an overhaul.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, interesting.
If it's build up in the oil control rings though, why would the smoke stop after running for a few minutes? And why are these engines in particular so susceptible to carbon around the rings? Bad oil control ring design?

At a dealer I once worked at, we traded in an old Ford LTDII w/a 302, IIRC. It smoked like crazy and we all thought, "rebuild time." My boss pulled the valve covers and cleared the oil return passages in the heads out with a wire coathanger. We then drained and refilled with new oil/filter. The difference was like night and day. I would not have believed it if I hadn't lived it.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-20-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 AM

The carbon in the rings will dry out after shutting the engine down and stick. After running awhile the carbon gets a fresh supply of oil/gas and is saturated allowing the rings to free up. If that engine was run with a blown head gasket for a long time (slightly blown and gone unnoticed) the water hiitting the cylinder walls slowly changes the temper of the metal of the cylinder walls. With the head off you can visually inspect the cylinder walls to tell as it looks like a stain on the walls. If this is the case it would need to be bored and pistons replaced with oversize.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

At a dealer I once worked at, we traded in an old Ford LTDII w/a 302, IIRC. It smoked like crazy and we all thought, "rebuild time." My boss pulled the valve covers and cleared the oil return passages in the heads out with a wire coathanger. We then drained and refilled with new oil/filter. The difference was like night and day. I would not have believed it if I hadn't lived it.
That LTD must have been running some of that old Quaker State oil. I used to know people who wouldn't use any other oil, but when you tear one of those engines down you wouldn't believe the amount of gunk in them. I'm sure they have reformulated their oil since then -- this was from my shade-tree mechanic days back in the 70's.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Entirely possible, NightSwimmer. I worked @ that dealer (Jeep) from the mid to late '80's, but the car must have been from the late '70's/early '80's. QS was cheap and prevalent then too. Might be that paraffin base breaking down that sstlaure always talks about? I really couldn't say, just that my boss knew "the fix" w/o even thinking about it twice.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Default 89 b2200

I am also having this problem, has anyone ever fix this problem? I had to replace the head gasket, it did not do it before I replaced the the gasket. I had to wait a year to finish putting the gasket on due to an injury. I had the head rebuilt while I waited for my shoulder to heal. Now I start the truck and it starts right away, and smokes for 2 minutes or longer and then stops. I goes thru oil, but has 160 psi in each cylinder,and the spark plugs were clean.