Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/)
-   -   B4000 After Market cruise control (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/b4000-after-market-cruise-control-34399/)

NorthGeorgia 10-31-2014 02:25 PM

B4000 After Market cruise control

Hello,
I have a 2010 B4000 4x4 manual shift.

Anyone installed an after market cruise control unit?
Please advise and recommend.

Any assistance type instructions would be appreciated too.

Thanks

hixx 10-31-2014 08:20 PM

Most cars are already wired for cruise nowadays. It should be an easy install though I don't know what kit you have. Cutting a hole in the column cover will probably be the hardest part.

NorthGeorgia 11-01-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by hixx (Post 149338)
Most cars are already wired for cruise nowadays. It should be an easy install though I don't know what kit you have. Cutting a hole in the column cover will probably be the hardest part.

I have not purchased a kit/unit yet. The reason being that I have communicated with two different retailers and I get different advise? One says they have a specific for a Mazda (up to 2008) which is still applicable to my 2010; which is a Rostra model of a certain # and then from another retailer they say I need a 'universal' kit/unit which is a Rostra of a DIFFERENT model #.

Very confusing. I called the Rostra company and they would not/could not answer my question of which but told me to talk with a retailer????!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not very confidence building......................:confused:

Cusser 11-01-2014 10:29 AM

I installed a Rostra aftermarket cruise control into my 2004 5-speed 4-cylinder Frontier a year ago. I also have an earlier kit (Audiovox name, precursor to Rostra) in my 1988 Mazda B2200. Both work great, the newer kit uses electronics instead of engine vacuum. Very good kits, instruction sheets are mediocre. Anyway, the Frontier uses an accelerator cable, so it must use the Rostra universal kit. If your 2010 Mazda has an accelerator cable, then that is the kit for you.

If your truck has electronic control for transmitting accelerator pedal travel to the throttle body/computer, then you need the specialized "plug in" kit, same as for 2010 Ford Ranger.

I bought my kit from Ebay retailer Kartronix, and they were pretty knowledgeable.
Rostra 250 1847 Cruise Control Kit Ford F150 Escape Ranger Mazda Tribute Truck | eBay

Also ask Tel: 330-953-2613
Car Stereo LLC
6913 Market St.
Suite # 9
Youngstown, OH 44512
Customer Service: Mon-Fri 9-5 EST

NorthGeorgia 11-01-2014 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 149350)
I installed a Rostra aftermarket cruise control into my 2004 5-speed 4-cylinder Frontier a year ago. I also have an earlier kit (Audiovox name, precursor to Rostra) in my 1988 Mazda B2200. Both work great, the newer kit uses electronics instead of engine vacuum. Very good kits, instruction sheets are mediocre. Anyway, the Frontier uses an accelerator cable, so it must use the Rostra universal kit. If your 2010 Mazda has an accelerator cable, then that is the kit for you.

If your truck has electronic control for transmitting accelerator pedal travel to the throttle body/computer, then you need the specialized "plug in" kit, same as for 2010 Ford Ranger.

I bought my kit from Ebay retailer Kartronix, and they were pretty knowledgeable.
Rostra 250 1847 Cruise Control Kit Ford F150 Escape Ranger Mazda Tribute Truck | eBay

Also ask Tel: 330-953-2613
Car Stereo LLC
6913 Market St.
Suite # 9
Youngstown, OH 44512
Customer Service: Mon-Fri 9-5 EST

Thanks for the feedback and the link to the item you bought. The price listed at their site is about the same as the one's I got from the other two retailers. My 2010 Mazda is said to be a "Ford Ranger"Clone so I guess whatever is recommended for the Ford Ranger (year 2010) is what will fit exactly into mine?????:confused:

Cusser 11-04-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgia (Post 149355)
My 2010 Mazda is said to be a "Ford Ranger" Clone so I guess whatever is recommended for the Ford Ranger (year 2010) is what will fit exactly into mine?????:confused:

YES. Exception might be some exterior body parts. Way more Ford Rangers sold than Mazdas those years due to strength/number of Ford dealerships, and some want an "American" brand on their vehicles. Made on the same assembly line in USA, Mazda trucks often were less expensive and had longer warranties too.

For the cruise control: you may be able to get a dash mount control pad instead of a stalk-mounted one, if you prefer.