Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2600i Engine SWAP What motors can i use plz read L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Default B2600i Engine SWAP What motors can i use plz read L@@K

Hello, im about to buy a 1992 Mazda B2600i and the motor runs but rought (if i cant get it better) it has 320 000kms on it...im wondering can i use a motor for a 2.3L turbo ford, or wat other cars can i get a motor from? Ford motors look very similar to them...will a probe 2.2L fit onto the trans etc of the B2600i or is there any other direct swaps for the truck...just drop in and go kind of thing?

thx and this will help alot...

btw im gettin truck for 400 and the frame is good and needs a bit of work on the tail gate

Old 08-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Default 2.2L ford probe motor

Fine will a 2.2L ford probe motor work on the B2600i transmission?

how much HP can the tranny take before it blow

Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Default RE: 2.2L ford probe motor

you can find the same 2.6L motor in say 89- 93 mazda mpvs they are much easyer to find them at the wreckers

Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM

I am not sure what motors will bolt up but I do know that these engines are not built by ford. they are made by mitsubishi. Ford did not own mazda's until after 93. and the pre 90 engines may bolt up but are not the same engine. they are opposite because of the switch to fuel injection causing things in the engine compartment to be on different side IE battery location different fuel plumbing different polution controll equipment. the exhaust manifold and intake are swapped also. intake is on the drivers side on pre 90 models while on the left on post 90 models. what you can do is find out what engines bolt up to the tranyperhaps using an adaptor plate if you want more power. You should make sure but I believe it is an Asian tranny so it should be fairly popular. a v6 will fit because it is shorter than the four cylinder and there seems to be pleanty of room on the sides. if you do this though i suggest switching to a carborated engine preventing you from messing with the computerized fuel injection system. but be sure to keep all of your old sensors from the mazda engine to replace with, or else your guages won't properly work. May I suggest a 4.3 liter vortech chevy from a blazer or s-10. they have about 2 times the power per size ratio and are very common.Though I do suggest sticking with the fuel injected engine. I had an 87 mazda and I hated the carborated model. I would also suggest staying ayay from an engine from a car. they may seemmorepowerfull in the car but when you put all the veight of a 4wd behibnd them you will realize they are all horsepower and no torque. which in a pickup is really what you want. especiallyif you want to put bigger tires on it. which by the way these mazda's can fit 31s stock if you turn up your tortion bars. I have a 3" body lift from performance accessories and have 32s on with no problems whatsoever. well except the gearinghad to be changed.what I am doing with mine is going to Jasper engines and ordering a new complete engine for the model of my vehicle. they have a website if they don't have a location near you. you may also look into japenease swaps, but they are more expensive as far as I have seen and often don't match up. One I installed had vaccume advance instead of electronic and so forth. I hope this was helpfull and if not well good luck anyway.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Also it is not necessarily a question of if the tranny will blow out,but if your clutch will hold up. If you add more power then you will need a stronger clutch and pressure plate. secondly you will probably eat up syncro's faster. this will be your primary problems before your tranny magically exploding. this all leads me back to my point that you should probably just put in the stock engine, or else purchase the vehicle fit for what you are trying to do. It is not cost effective to spend lots of money polishing a turd. hope I was helpfull.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 PM

The good news is that the B2600 used the same (pretty much) transmissions as the Turbo RX7, the 929, and the MPV (RWD). So with a lot of plumbing work you can install a rotary (12A or 13B) or a 3.0 (JE) V6... none of which is a bolt in... but the drivetrain from the tranmission rearward would not have to be modified.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:27 PM
Default Engine swap, B2600 JE 3.0.

Originally Posted by MazdaGuru
The good news is that the B2600 used the same (pretty much) transmissions as the Turbo RX7, the 929, and the MPV (RWD). So with a lot of plumbing work you can install a rotary (12A or 13B) or a 3.0 (JE) V6... none of which is a bolt in... but the drivetrain from the tranmission rearward would not have to be modified.
hello, I’m currently in the process of swapping a 1990 JE 3.0 into my 1990 Mazda, B 2600 4 x 4. Any information on transmission bolt pattern,/bell housing swap? Also trying to find a manual ECU for a 90 Mazda MPV 3.0
I think the oil pan may work but is there a different oil pan for the awd and the rear wheel drive 3.0, in the MPV?

Old 01-21-2023, 11:19 PM

Uh......the last reply to this thread was 15 years ago! It would be best if you started a new thread related to your project so other users can help you better. Welcome to the forum also.