Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2200 Slow to NO turn over when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Okay if you're having a problem like that (slow/excessive starter spinning) with the 2nd AutoZone starter, you MAY not be getting enough voltage/amps. The starter gear is spring loaded, so the inertia of the spinning motion shoots the gear into contact with your flywheel. If it isn't getting full power (~12v) the starter will not spin fast enough to engage immediately, unless AutoZone is 0-2 which IS possible. Check quickly to ensure you have the 12v signal. (battery, starter solenoid, starter)

My $0.02 from past issues - Double check the part first (and make sure its installed flush and tight), make sure your wiring is solid (test with everything with a meter if you have), check solenoid by jumping if possible, and... always wire brush and tighten all of your "O" style bolt-on connectors. Also, if you know what you're doing, you can use jumper cables to simply test the AutoZone starter, disconnect the batt from your car first obviously. If you can do this "ghetto" test and your gear is shooting out and returning, double down on the wiring situation.

Reply if swapping in the RA starter works, or not! Im curious! Sorry for the wordiness of the reply, but this should get you where you need to be!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:43 AM

Yeah,
I thought sure...it happens sometimes...but twice. That's a bummer.
It's not like it is a super complicated piece of equip.
Anyway. Will be taking it back and not doing THAT again.
Thanks

Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Try jumpstarting the starter via jumper cables direct to the starter from a running vehicle, this will eliminate any wiring or circuit issues in your vehicle.

** Just be very careful with live jumper cables **

Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by GreenBee
you can use jumper cables to simply test the AutoZone starter, disconnect the batt from your car first obviously. If you can do this "ghetto" test and your gear is shooting out and returning, double down on the wiring situation.
This is good advice.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by GreenBee
Okay if you're having a problem like that (slow/excessive starter spinning) with the 2nd AutoZone starter, you MAY not be getting enough voltage/amps. The starter gear is spring loaded, so the inertia of the spinning motion shoots the gear into contact with your flywheel. If it isn't getting full power (~12v) the starter will not spin fast enough to engage immediately, unless AutoZone is 0-2 which IS possible. Check quickly to ensure you have the 12v signal. (battery, starter solenoid, starter)

My $0.02 from past issues - Double check the part first (and make sure its installed flush and tight), make sure your wiring is solid (test with everything with a meter if you have), check solenoid by jumping if possible, and... always wire brush and tighten all of your "O" style bolt-on connectors. Also, if you know what you're doing, you can use jumper cables to simply test the AutoZone starter, disconnect the batt from your car first obviously. If you can do this "ghetto" test and your gear is shooting out and returning, double down on the wiring situation.

Reply if swapping in the RA starter works, or not! Im curious! Sorry for the wordiness of the reply, but this should get you where you need to be!
Thx. for some reason I didn't see your response until now. Will do this. Thx

Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM

Soooooo,
I put in the RA starter.
Now I have the opposite problem. When cold starting it spins the engine fine and starts right up.
When engine is hot it can barely turn engine over. Jumped it.
ugh

I checked Voltage.
12 (+) at batt cold & hot
12 (+) at starter hot (didn't check it cold)
14.4 at battery while running.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ruckus
Soooooo,
I put in the RA starter.
Now I have the opposite problem. When cold starting it spins the engine fine and starts right up.
When engine is hot it can barely turn engine over. Jumped it.
ugh
These symptoms are very odd indeed... i would say check electrical next, but if it works when cold, it should also work when hot. What accessories are you running? Power steering? Ac compressor? I am thinking you may be having some excess drag somewhere in the system when the truck is warmed up.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Radio is only accessory.
And I turn it off when trying to start it.
A/C belt is off.
so, No Accessories.
This weekend I will check to see that I have it positioned correctly...
It Turns the engine really slowly and almost makes a grinding noise when hot.

The Battery is a Walmart Battery. It is only a couple months old.
Could it be that the battery doesn't have enough amps? But it would seem after it has been running it would have MORE amperage.?

Old 01-18-2019, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Heat causes electrical resistance.

Have you had the battery professionally tested? How many CCA is it rated at?

Have you tried jump starting the starter directly of a fresh good battery?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Batt has 550 CCA
it's everstart plus
Batt is only a couple months old

I have not tried jumping it directly to starter when hot.
I DID jump directly to starter when cold a while back.

had batt and alternater tested twice by Oreillys, and Auto zone.

After I put the 1st starter in and was having problems...
I replaced ground wires from battery, and added an additional from ground wire from engine to chassis.
Adding a ground seemed to have no effect at all.

Just went out now and it started up. cold.

Last edited by Ruckus; 01-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: B2200 Slow to NO turn over when hot.