Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

b2200 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Default b2200 engine swap

does anyone know if the b-series front-wheel drive engines (http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/tech/...ineswapfaq.htm) will bolt up to the b2200 tranny? believe it or not, i want to downsize for gas mileage purposes. i don't need much power, just better fuel economy.

thanks in advance

Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mazdatex
does anyone know if the b-series front-wheel drive engines (http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/tech/...ineswapfaq.htm) will bolt up to the b2200 tranny? believe it or not, i want to downsize for gas mileage purposes. i don't need much power, just better fuel economy.

thanks in advance
Sorry, cannot answer your question directly, however, I do have a comment regarding the engine swap. I'm thinking that the difference in fuel economy will not amount to enough to offset the cost of the new smaller engine, all of the ancillary parts, and the labor to fit it to your vehicle unless you drive it for many-many more miles. Think about it this way, let's say that you manage to raise your mileage from say 20mpg to 24mpg (optimistic, but there it is) and you drive an average of 15,000 miles per year. Annual fuel costs work out to a bit over $2,000 per year for your current engine and a bit less than $1,700 per year for the smaller engine.

How much are you going to be paying for the new mill and how much do you figure it will cost to fit it to your truck (if it is even possible)? With that number, how many years at $337 per year savings will it take you to offset the cost of the retrofit?

Last edited by shipo; 10-10-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Sorry, cannot answer your question directly, however, I do have a comment regarding the engine swap. I'm thinking that the difference in fuel economy will not amount to enough to offset the cost of the new smaller engine, all of the ancillary parts, and the labor to fit it to your vehicle unless you drive it for many-many more miles. Think about it this way, let's say that you manage to raise your mileage from say 20mpg to 24mpg (optimistic, but there it is) and you drive an average of 15,000 miles per year. Annual fuel costs work out to a bit over $2,000 per year for your current engine and a bit less than $1,700 per year for the smaller engine.

How much are you going to be paying for the new mill and how much do you figure it will cost to fit it to your truck (if it is even possible)? With that number, how many years at $337 per year savings will it take you to offset the cost of the retrofit?
Thanks for the input. Good points. I would probably find a donor vehicle and do all the work myself just as a fun project.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Cool

u could go two a slavage yard and look?