Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2000 w 351W conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Man! It does look like you're pushing some things to the max with this swap though.
The torsion adjustments are maxed out as is the front suspension.
You might do better, ultimately, to have some new (higher rate) torsions made and some reinforcement welding done. Seems like the weight of the new drive train is more than the vehicle was designed for?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

You might have cooling issues with the smaller radiator. Have you figured out gearing? Most important FRAME STRENGTHING!, hate to see that 351 twist that truck all to hell on your first burn out.

Last edited by vlstellato; 04-23-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM

You are exactly right about stretching some aspects of this swap. We are working on the frame issues so I don't twist it. The suspension is not at all maxed tho. It's actually not been touched except for lowering the bars a few turns and 1-on-1 rear. Gotta take it apart and turn the bars...bigger blocks in back! 4-Link Rear and hopefully Ford 8.8 COMING SOON!!! The factory rear gear is 3.90 in these trucks! (except 4x4 w/ 4.30 or sumn) I've only got a few simple things left to do before it becomes crankable/drivable. (Alternator, balancer, fuel pump, heater hoses & driveshaft) It ain't much but I'm POOR w/ bills like everyone else! I really haven't set down to figure out how much I've spent but I do have a list of parts bought and 90% of the receipts so I'll add up and get back to you on that! As far as the radiator goes, I ended up using a stock Mustang 2-row unit. With a little help from my grinder again, I open the front to accept it. It was a mess bc the 351w has such a long water pump neck that the pulley damn near touches the hood latch. That's sumn I didn't want to have to move. Now cutting grill, bumper mounts and maybe bumper to fit...Yeah the idea when I started this was that I wanted a Mustang bc I got screwed out of my last one...But I couldn't pass this truck up because they are becoming harder to find.( got a good deal too) Not to mention I still had some issues I didn't get to clear up with the last one either! :P So I decided to put 2 things to bed at once! I actually have a buddy who has a 5.0 EFI w/AT in an x-cab B2600 who inspired me to challenge him! So here I stand....I thank and appreciate everyone for their interest and opinions as I can always use more help!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails B2000 w 351W conversion-dels-truck-002.jpg  
Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by v8xcab
You are exactly right about stretching some aspects of this swap. We are working on the frame issues so I don't twist it. The suspension is not at all maxed tho. It's actually not been touched except for lowering the bars a few turns and 1-on-1 rear. Gotta take it apart and turn the bars...bigger blocks in back! 4-Link Rear and hopefully Ford 8.8 COMING SOON!!! The factory rear gear is 3.90 in these trucks! (except 4x4 w/ 4.30 or sumn) I've only got a few simple things left to do before it becomes crankable/drivable. (Alternator, balancer, fuel pump, heater hoses & driveshaft) It ain't much but I'm POOR w/ bills like everyone else! I really haven't set down to figure out how much I've spent but I do have a list of parts bought and 90% of the receipts so I'll add up and get back to you on that! As far as the radiator goes, I ended up using a stock Mustang 2-row unit. With a little help from my grinder again, I open the front to accept it. It was a mess bc the 351w has such a long water pump neck that the pulley damn near touches the hood latch. That's sumn I didn't want to have to move. Now cutting grill, bumper mounts and maybe bumper to fit...Yeah the idea when I started this was that I wanted a Mustang bc I got screwed out of my last one...But I couldn't pass this truck up because they are becoming harder to find.( got a good deal too) Not to mention I still had some issues I didn't get to clear up with the last one either! :P So I decided to put 2 things to bed at once! I actually have a buddy who has a 5.0 EFI w/AT in an x-cab B2600 who inspired me to challenge him! So here I stand....I thank and appreciate everyone for their interest and opinions as I can always use more help!!!!!

Hey it's been years but about to do either 5.0 or 5.8 wanted to see how it all came together