Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Default any suggestions

have an 86 mazda B2000 with the two liter engine. It's carbureted with 132K and manual xmission. It runs excellent. Except, once in a while, it begins to cough and sputter while accelerating (not at idle). At the same time, it's like the electrical system goes weak. My lights dim, the wipers get slow, the turn signals are slow, the heater fan is weak and the radio may go off. But if I turn one or more of these items off, the radio will come on, the wipers will get quick, etc.. When this happens and I get to my destination I turn off the truck. But if I try to start it, it wont start. But if I let it set for a while (a few hours) I can get right in and it will start up. Everything will be fine (including the electrical). But, on my way home it may or may not act up again.my battery is fully charged but as soon as i turn the key over it doesnt have enough juice to turn the engine over. but if i try it like an hour later it starts. If you have any idea what this could be it would be much appreciated.
thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: any suggestions

It sounds like it could be a slow-to-react voltage regulator or an alternator that"s facing it"s own mortality? Probably one or the other.
Of course you may be having other electrical issues, such as a bad ground somewhere, causing it to act that way too. Hard to say from here. That"s one you may just have to experiment with.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Default RE: any suggestions

Dirtyburger, I have an 89 B2200 that runs great about 90% of the time. At other times it also spits and sputters a bit. I notice it kind of cuts off when atfirst deceleration...if that makes sense, then when running at a consistant speed.... If I hit the gas it smooths out and accelerates fine. This only happens opccasionally though. I have never noticed any electrical issue though. I have considered the weber conversion but am not sure it would fix the problem. Have you found the answer to your problem? I get 23MPG. Is that normal?