Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Anti-freeze leak which gasket is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Default Anti-freeze leak which gasket is it?

Hello everyone i have a 02 B3000, theres a small leak of anti-freeze behind the water-pump. Its the gasket on the block behind the pump. What is that gasket called, and is this a common leak for this engine. It seems to only leak when it sits overnight, then theres a trace of anti-freeze on boths sides of that gasket.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM

water pump gasket.

may only get this with a new pump or a timing cover gasket set. you'll have to check with the parts guy/store.

Attached Thumbnails Anti-freeze leak which gasket is it?-water-pump-1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by mazdab2600
water pump gasket.

may only get this with a new pump or a timing cover gasket set. you'll have to check with the parts guy/store.
Yes it looks like the timing cover gasket. What could i do for a quick fix to stop the leak? I really dont want to take it apart since its a 4x4, and would have to lift the engine to get at the oil pan.

Last edited by chasman; 09-17-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Chasman
This seems to be a common problem with the 3.0 V6. Mine did that last winter and the culprit was the Water Pump Bolt just above the Crank Shaft Sensor. We torqued the water pump bolts to the proper tension and all has been well since then. No more leaks and the Coolant level hasn't dropped at all.
I am taking the truck in for a "flush and fill" next month so if there is more of a problem than that I am sure it will show up then. ;>)))
Have a Good One!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by cl8ton
Chasman
This seems to be a common problem with the 3.0 V6. Mine did that last winter and the culprit was the Water Pump Bolt just above the Crank Shaft Sensor. We torqued the water pump bolts to the proper tension and all has been well since then. No more leaks and the Coolant level hasn't dropped at all.
I am taking the truck in for a "flush and fill" next month so if there is more of a problem than that I am sure it will show up then. ;>)))
Have a Good One!
Is it possible to retorque the bolts without taking anything off? Whats sad about it is the engine only has 32k on it. I wish it was the water pump instead of the timing cover, just my luck if i had any.

Last edited by chasman; 09-20-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 AM

"Is it possible to retorque the bolts without taking anything off?"

We were able to re-torque the culprits without taking anything off. It was tight to get in there but we got it. When this problem first appeared on my truck it was in January and once we torqued everything down it hasn't leaked again.
Hopefully yours will be the same.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by cl8ton
"Is it possible to retorque the bolts without taking anything off?"

We were able to re-torque the culprits without taking anything off. It was tight to get in there but we got it. When this problem first appeared on my truck it was in January and once we torqued everything down it hasn't leaked again.
Hopefully yours will be the same.
I tried to re-torque the bolts, brought it down to the dealer, he only charged me $20 to do the job but it still leaks, so either ill wait until it gets worse and do it right, or maybe ill add something in the anti-freeze to slow it down. As long as it doesnt find its way to the oil is my main concern.

Last edited by chasman; 10-03-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda_Pn
hey anyone know where i could be leaking coolant from? it does not over heat at all, but when i stop and turn the car off, coolant starts to leak from the back of the block it looks like. does it sound like a loose hose connection?

and it does not leak that much at all, then it will stop leaking after a minute or so, or does it sound like the heater core?
msctf dll error
You might have the same leak i have, leaking from the timing chain cover, when the truck cools down is when it leaks because theres no pressure holding back the anti-freeze against the gasket. If it was the heater core your carpet on the passenger side would be wet and smell inside.

Last edited by chasman; 10-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 AM

Just an update on My B3000, 3.0L, V6.
Had it in for an "E" test yesterday, passed with flying colors, and had the coolant System Flush. The system pressure tested to specs,... no more leaks since we tightend the loose bolts.
Good For Another Year!!