Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/)
-   -   94 mazda b3000 head gasket (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/94-mazda-b3000-head-gasket-36472/)

Sumnerwayne@ymail.com 02-08-2016 01:27 AM

94 mazda b3000 head gasket

Hello fellow members. I am new to this forum and trucks. SO! I have my first truck, a 94 mazda b3000. I am slowly losing coolant every time i drive it. Truck has 200+ k miles. I have looked at all the signs white sweet smelling smoke which it does smoke in the mornings and eventualy dies off after it gets hot. Noticing a good amount of water in the end of exaust so maybe condesation? Or water from coolant being burned? coolant in the oil and there is none. On the drivers side i do see oil seepage in between the block and head so i believe it is a bad head gasket so im thinking of maybe trying to retorque the head down to see if it helps seal it up. When i drive it sounds like water is bubbling in side the cab! I also notice what could possibly be a leak in the radiator under the filler neck. My coolant over fill resivoir never has coolant in it. The truck never over heats but it never gets up to temp that i can see on the guage sometimes it goes up but mostly just stays near the cooler side and it never acts up or gets sluggy. So i know thats a long read and hopefully you guys stuck with me. Are there any other things i could look at to see if it is forsure a bad head gasket? And im eager to tackle it either way but is it a pretty simple proceedure? I definetly need a how to on this! Thabks guys.

Cusser 02-13-2016 10:12 AM

OK. First, your 1994 was made in USA and is a clone of the Ford Ranger, so you can search such Ranger boards too. The B3000 is the middle-sized engine for it.

OK, it sounds like it could be a head gasket issue to me as well. A Cylinder Leakage Test can help determine that. For example, piston at top dead center, air is pumped through the spark plug hole and one listens where/if the air is escaping. For example, bubbles in the radiator (after removing cap) indicate leakage into the cooling system. Air coming out exhaust means leakage into exhaust, air out intake shows leakage to there, air out oil filler cap means rings leakage. I don't know if O'Reilly or Autozone have such free rental too, or if you could just pay a mechanic for "diagnosis only" and go from there.

I know the shop I use once a year will do "diagnosis only".

Sumnerwayne@ymail.com 02-13-2016 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 156521)
OK. First, your 1994 was made in USA and is a clone of the Ford Ranger, so you can search such Ranger boards too. The B3000 is the middle-sized engine for it.

OK, it sounds like it could be a head gasket issue to me as well. A Cylinder Leakage Test can help determine that. For example, piston at top dead center, air is pumped through the spark plug hole and one listens where/if the air is escaping. For example, bubbles in the radiator (after removing cap) indicate leakage into the cooling system. Air coming out exhaust means leakage into exhaust, air out intake shows leakage to there, air out oil filler cap means rings leakage. I don't know if O'Reilly or Autozone have such free rental too, or if you could just pay a mechanic for "diagnosis only" and go from there.

I know the shop I use once a year will do "diagnosis only".

I went ahead and pulled the heads. Found coolant in 5th and 6th cylinders. Bad lower intake and drivers side head gaskets. Extreme fuel smell through radiator. Had the heads magna fluxed and the drivers side was cracked in the intake valve. Purchased a pair of reconditioned heads so awaiting them through ups. Hopefully are ok.

Cusser 02-15-2016 09:18 AM

Sorry you found a cracked head. But good that you bought reconditioned heads instead of just used ones.

Good that you found the issue. Remember to change the oil, and maybe change again after just a few miles.