Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

92 B2200 Starting Problem: Chapter 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Default 92 B2200 Starting Problem: Chapter 2

I'm the Truck owner that has a 2.2L EFI that starts for a second, then chokes and dies. I have checked the fuel pressure, checked spark, checked and replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, complete distributor, the control modelu (1" square item on fender) and a miriad of other things. Over 70 people have looked at my problem and NO One has replied!! I REALLY NEED HELP! I AM STUMPED!!! It starts, runs for a second, then dies. So the cam sensor is not the culprit.. I KNOW IT IS A FUEL DELIVERY PROBLEM!! There is no smell of extra gas in the aire after starting many times, (flooding), so i don't know where to turn...
My new question: is there some gadget or sensor somewhere that has the power to shut off the fuel if it senses something is wrong (ie; low oil, crash, etc.). I know most modern cars have that feature. Could this be what is faulty and is shutting off my fuel after intial fire up? PLEASE HELP ME! I need to get to work in the AM!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM

I think most of us have carbureted versions, why you've had less feedback. I would get a helper and have some bleed in some propane (like from an unlit torch) carefully into the air cleaner inlet while someone tries to start it. If it runs better or longer, then it's definitely a fuel delivery issue. Is there also a way to measure for fuel flow, even if it requires tee-ing into the system temporarily? Post back what you find. You'll find more expertise at mazdatruckin.com

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Default Thank You for your Reply!

Thanks!
Here is what we ultimately did:
1.Replaced Fuel Filter
2. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap
3. Burned out and replaced a starter.
4. Tested fuel pressure and at first it seemed fine, later tested it with proper equipment and it was about 20lbs low. so replaced fuel pump...
5. Replaced the distributor completely ..(just before we checked the fuel pressure one more time ( we were going after the bell-crank sensor in the distributor...)

Then it started and ran! Took it out next day and spent 15 minutes stranded in a parking lot as it idled, but gagged as I pressed on the gas- like I was flooding it or starving it...more like flooding...finally started runnign properly...
SOOO..today I'm replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the coolant sensor. I should have a brand new truck!!! I really think the last problem was just a bubble in the line- but I've gone this far...Thanks for your concern! I will let you know if there is any more to this nightmare!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Default B2200 Starting Troubles Chapter 3,4,5,6,

The Saga Contiues. Replaced in addition to the previusly mentioned parts, the fuel regulator and the coolant temp sensor, since this also seems to be a cold starting issue now....Thought we were done since I had driven it around since the last choking issue in the parking lot...Drove it out of the mechanics garage, parked it (ran great..)...came to it an hour later , it started, but bogged down everytime I step on the gas...would not speed up over 2k rpm. Left it right there... He called tonight and says he check the Mass Air Flow sensor and it isn't working...$350 more......I've now got more into teh truck than I spent for it in the beginning....