Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

91 mazda b2200 ignition trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Default 91 mazda b2200 ignition trouble.

I have a 91 b2200 that has a 2.2 liter engine in it. I have had a mechanic work on it and so far he has it running good with a new webber carb. It has one last issue. It can be running and it all of a sudden looses power and gets sluggish. IT gets to where you can barely go 20-30 miles an hour. I have noticed it doing this when I get on the interstate and get it to 60 or better or after it had been running a while. It runs really good until it starts acting up. I noticed and the mechanic noticed the ignition switch acts up at times,it sometimes will not even turn over or make noise if you try to start it. Then you keep working the ignition and it will eventyually start. He said it is loosing the voltage at the ignition coil.. Will the ignition switch cause this or could there be other things to check. I did notice it did this once and I wiggled the hoses , It may have been a coicidence. It seemed to run better but it still would not run smooth until I parked it and let it set. He suggested the ignition switch and I believe it could be causing issues also. Could the ignition switch loose the connection to the wire going to the ignition coil but the truck still halfway run from the voltage off the trucks circuit? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Default RE: 91 mazda b2200 ignition trouble.

No, the truck can't run if the ignition switch doesn't supply voltage - otherwise, how could you ever turn off the engine using the ignition switch/key? However, these ignition switches do go bad over time, I've replaced mine. Also, the ignitor and pickup inside the distributor do go bad over time, I've had to replace those, too. And I do have weber 32/36 DGEV as well. And I've had no running issues for over two years except when my EGR valve stuck in the open position (causing lack of idle and low speed running) and I had to clean it out.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM

I understand about the ignition switch not allowing the engine to run if it has a open to the ignition coil. But the thing with the truck is that it doesn't quit completely it just sputters and doesn't get over 30 mph. And when it acted up I pulled it over to the side and let the other cars pass. Then I took off and it would drive good until about 30 then it would sputter I would hit the gas and it would go a little better then sputter when I tried to go faster than 30. I would have to hit the pedal more then back off then hit it again to keep it running. It was like pumping the gas on a older vehicle to get it started. What I have noticed when I have drove it and it acts up is this. I drove it a few times and it acted up in the same location. I had been driving about 25-30 minutes and got on the interstate. Then I give it a little more gas and it acted up so I had to get off the next exit. It then would run but then sputter and slow down. Almost like a hose off but I couldn't find a bad hose. I haven't noticed it acting up until it had been running about 30 min, I work about a hour away. Then when I finally get it to barely get to work and leave it until the afternoon it does fine. I even drove it one day on a day off to a town about 2 1/2 hours away and had absolutely no problems. Its a intermitant problem that just pops up all of a sudden. Then you can leave it parked for a few hours and it runs great. I think the most I have been able to drive is 3-4 days with no problems. I need to get it solved since the car I had before this truck is about to die also. I think if this problem can be figured out it will be a excellent truck. The mechanic is sharp and a good one but even he is getting perplexed by this piece of junk. I will let him know your suggestions.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:08 PM

My mechanic figured it oout, its the distributor. The vaccum advance is all messed up, we can get the parts the distributor needs so it a whole new distributor at about 200 bucks. But if ittakes care of it then hopefully it will be worth it.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 AM

i have a used dist id sell....89,000 miles on it

toddluck@yahoo.com

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the offer but the mechanic ordered the distributor on Sat. I needed to get it up ASAP since my other vehicle has a bad transmission and coolant leak in the engine. I think this other will last a few days until he gets the truck going.