Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

86 B 2000. Need help ASAP

Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Default 86 B 2000. Need help ASAP

OK, So I'm driving down the road yesterday at about 65-70 and started to hear a pinging/ knocking coming from the engine. So, I pull off to the side of the road an pop the hood. I open the engine oil and it is smoking. I add oil to it, about 4 quarts and go about my merry way. I get home and change the oil and filter because I used the incorrect weight when I broke down. I drove it around for a lil longer last night then turned in for the night; when I pulled into the driveway it was just beginning to ping/ knock again. This morning I go outside and there is a HUGE puddle of oil under the car. It is more towards the rear of engine bay, around the transmission housing/ cat. I check the oil and it is completely low. So what the hell is goin on????? Is it the rear main seal or did I crack the head? any suggestions would be quite useful, otherwise I'm gonna have to spend a **** ton on oil cuz I need this car to get me to class.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 86 B 2000. Need help ASAP

Based solely on your description, it sounds very possibly like the rear main gave it up. But having to add 4 qts isn"t good either. But also if oil ispresent nearer the top of the engine, or has sprayed around under the hood, look elsewhere first.If you"re lucky, hoses, or another oil pressure related connection may just be the culprit.
Did the idiot light ever come on, or the gauge (if you have one) drop to zero?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM

I didnt get any codes while driving. All i heard was that pinging going on. I had to come to work today and it was running fine coming up here. there was a timed rattle. like every so many revolutions I'd hear a rattle. Then, as I'm going over the bridge, the car starts pinging super loud. As, I'm coming off the engine stalls out and shudders as it does. I start it up and it pings its way to my place of employment. I gotta get it home, so I'm gonna add some oil and drive it. I'm gonna work on the main seal but i'm wondering whether I ****ed up anything internal. I hope that I didnt throw out a bearing or a connecting rod. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 AM

If the rear cam seal is not installed properly it will usually blow out and blow out about 4 quarts in the period of 5 or 6 miles depending on how bad it blew. Mine blew clean out of the engine. Could be the rear main seal but check the cam seal first, all you have to do is stick you're hand back there and feel for it. If it's not there you'll be able to feel the back of the cam and there will be 1.5" hole where the seal was suppose to be. If this is what has happened do not try to force a new seal in, remove the rocker arm assembly and install it properly, the seal is slightly larger than the hole so it is held in by crush. I've seen people stick them in there with a pry bar against the firewall and then have it blow out later.

Check you're coolant system, unless it is leaking somewhat slow I doubt the pinging is completely from the lack of oil. It is probably a combination of a lack of oil and a weak cooling system.

If something weird ever happens like that again and you have to limp it home try to get some high octane fuel into it to reduce the pinging and bring the engine temp down a little.

If the oil light didn't come on you probably didn't do any damage from the oil, I've seen people run their trucks for years on 8-10 psi without any problems as long as they didn't put a load on it. The pinging on the other hand may have broke a piston ring which usually will give you a low compression rating on that cylinder.