Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

4WD Disengages

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Default 4WD Disengages

First time Mazda B3000 owner in first snowstorm!

I have a '99. My first snowstorm was this past T-day. I notice that my 4wd disengages automatically, but the 4wd light still stays on. My driveway has got a hill, so I first go up it slowly to make sure that the 4wd is on. I can't make it up slowly without the 4wd on (in the snow). I take a mile drive, and by the time I come back, I'm sliding and I can't make it up my driveway. I backout, switch from 4wd to 2wd, then back to 4wd, and then I can make it up the driveway easily. So, I'm assuming my 4wd is either not fully engaged to begin with, or it is fully engaged and it pops out during a few minutes of driving.

I got the Chilton's manual out, and it hints at a vacumm actuator, so I'm guessing a vacuum leak. So, I could use a little confirmation, suggestions and hints on first things to look for.

BTW, I found this site for the 99 Ford Ranger which seems to address my "problem" and a permanent fix albeit with a slight loss of mpg's. Does this work with 99 B3000 as well?

http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...pr04/index.htm

Regards,

Cornerman

Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM
Default RE: 4WD Disengages

Yes your truck has the same pulse vacuum lock hubs as the Ford and that repair may work but I would be a little hesitant to engage hubs full time. Sounds like you do have a small vacuum leak in the system. Best way to check for them is to apply some pressure to the system (like no more than 5 psi ), and use a soap and water spray to look for bubbles from the system hoses and seals. There are a number of leak sources that are common. The seals at the axle are one but also the lines from the solenoid valve that controls the system to the fitting at the wheels. Control solenoid is just in front of the right front wheel well opening . Look at diagnosing the problem before disabling first. There are some bulletins that can guide you thru some preliminary diagnosis that I will fax to you if you have a # that you can PM me.