Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

2004 B3000 power steering help needed

Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Default 2004 B3000 power steering help needed

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but for the life of me I can't find the info I need.

The high pressure power steering hose on my truck finally got a little too rusty where it enters the rack and started leaking so I have to replace it.

I have it disconnected at the pump BUT... at the rack is the problem. it has rusted off RIGHT at the housing that the steel line runs into. There is no nut or anything to get pliers or anything locked onto it. After much playing around with it it is shaved off flat against the housing but there's still a piece of the tube inside the rack that has the seal on it.

Any ideas or tips to get that sucker out of there? I think the only way might be a tap and dye but don't want to attempt it until I may hear some better advice.

Also the new line they gave me has a nut at the end that joins the rack. It isn't threaded. i'm guessing that's just to seat it in there but my old one doesn't appear to have that spot notched to receive such and end. Is it a possibility that there are a couple different types of connectors depending on the VIN number?

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM

I would take the new hose back and take the old hose along to find a match.

Removing the remnant of the old nipple may turn out a PITA.
One of the best penetrating oils is 50% acetone 50% tranny fluid.
I have removed damaged bolts using a chisel. I pointed it at 45 degrees so that the stuck bolt would turn counter clockwise.
You may be able to notch it across and put a chisel in there. Then use an adjustable wrench to turn the blade of the chisel.
You may use "Freeze Off" (spray can) to shrink the nipple away from the housing. It will be risky to use heat at that location.
There are also bolt extractors available. Hopefully you find one that fits:

You could use a die grinder and grind out a groove along the wall to weaken the nipple. Then apply one of the above methods. Make sure none of the grinding dust enters the rack.

Good luck!

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.