Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

92 MX-3 GS Distibutor question*****

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Default 92 MX-3 GS Distibutor question*****

Hi guys, I have had my MX-3 GS 1.8L V6 for over a year now. Love the car; runs/sounds great, good on gas, handles like a dream.. A few weeks ago, my car started to run a bit rough when I first started it up. Then it shut off while I was driving. I had plenty of gas, and I take care of this car like it was a child. I could not figure out what was wrong and why it wasn't starting, so I called my mechanic buddy over. He put a test-light on my plug-wires and discovered I wasn't getting ANY spark. Took the cap and rotor off and tested whether or not I was getting power to the distributor- I was. I replaced the cap and rotor, marking the timing of course, and tested spark again- none. My mechanic buddy informed me that my distributor had gone bad and I needed a new one. Problem is, a new one is right at $500, and a refurbed one is $250. Can't find ANY MX-3s at the local junkyards, and as a struggling college student, I can't afford to pay that much for the part. So my question is- INSTEAD of replacing the entire distributor, could I just replace the ignition coil instead? The coil is much cheaper, and upon removing the bad distributor, I noticed that the coil makes up pretty much everything the distributor is. Since the distributor consist of only the coil, the coil housing, and the shaft that goes into the motor, I was wondering if I could solve my problem with- KEEPING the old housing and the shaft, and just replacing the coil? The old coil was very rusty and appeared to be worn. I can look at it and tell that it's the original coil and not a replacement. Someone please help, the clock is winding down on me and everyday i don't have my own transportation thing just get worse and worse.....