Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   Where is the Spare Tire? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/where-spare-tire-9555/)

hdlcx2 07-22-2007 02:56 AM

Where is the Spare Tire?

I have a 1990 MPV and have looked everywhere for my spare tire. :eek:

I went out and bought a Haynes Repair Manual for the 1989 to 1994 MPV models and there was NOT ONE WORD about the spare tire or spare tire compartment.

I have nothad a flat as of yet and don't want to find myself on the road fumbling around looking for my spare tire and jack.[:@]

Can anyone please help and let me know whereis the spare?

Greatly appreciated;)

Cheers

Will

Armor3dOrange 07-24-2007 02:07 PM

RE: Where is the Spare Tire?

Well on the newer models, 2000-2006, the spare tire is located underneath the right capitain seat compartment. I'd try looking there.

babyhuey 07-25-2007 07:43 PM

Good location description for 2000 and later Armor3dOrange. On a 1990 the spare tire would be located under the van just ahead of the rear bumper. On the rear hatch scuff plate on the right side there is a cover that you would remove. Under the cover is a 21 mm bolt head that you would then use the lug wrench to drop the spare tire down for access.

shashiham 09-13-2007 05:12 PM

under the belly pan. in between both rear wheel underneith. look from rear side of Van and you will find it.
let me know if you don't

hdlcx2 09-13-2007 09:43 PM

Thank's everyone who's replied to my request about finding my spare tire.

I have made a few cursiary searches and to be honest, have not found it yet!

WOW. Even in the Haynes Repair Manual, that is specific for that model.
In the next day or as soon as practical for me, I will crawl up under the vehicle, laying down, and locate the damn thing.

I have purchased 2 cans of inflate a tire, plus luckily, Im an AAA member. I realize that the inflate a tire in a can ruins the tire, unfortunally, and I wont use it unless desperate.

By the sounds of it though, I do not want to get a flat tire!

The van hasa full set of matching Goodyear tubeless steelbelted tires (forget the model) but they are not the cheap ones. New when I bought the Van, only about 2,000 miles on them now, the seller paid over $100.00 per tire.

Anyway, thanks heaps for the suggestions. I will try each of your suggestionsand report on the results.

Cheers

Wills

hdlcx2 09-15-2007 08:44 PM

Spare Tire found

OK thanks everyone.

Ive found the spare tire!
I obviously just overlooked it before. But, saying that, Ive looked for it very seriously about 5 times before.
It is basically right there mounted on the underside in the middle at the very back. It's where I originally thought it should be and had looked there about 3 times before.
Maybe it was the lighting before. And no, I dont drink, at all!
It is surrounded by mounting tubing and is a space saver tire. It is very dirty and the tubing is getting rusty. It is well hidden, even when looking directly at it.
I will say one thing though. I don't want to ever have to use it.
By the looks, it would be a major job changing a flat tire. Probably end up being a 1 to 2 hour job. Easily one hour. Then you would have a mess of mounting stuff to deal with. Plus it's a crappy little space saver tire.
Not sure what Ill do come a flat. Keep my cell handy and my AAA current for one, then inflate a tire second. Perhaps I might attempt the tire change out if conditions wernt too bad.
Who knows?
Anyway,Thanks again. In a way I feel better and in a way not. Hahaha.
Cheers
Will

designprof 11-08-2007 12:39 AM

RE: Spare Tire found

The original spare is one of those mini space-saver types. Almost worthless. I had one on my 1990 as well.
I went to the local junkyard and bought a used MPV hub and had a decent tire put on it. The rack under the MPV can hold a full-size spare without problems. Having a full-size spare tire is a much better solution if you get a flat on the highway. I would highly recommend this. ;)

hdlcx2 11-08-2007 01:08 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, that's an excellent idea. I would have never thought the full size tire would have fit but since youve already done this to yours then I will look at doing it. I know where to obtain a wheel and tire to match.
Cheers
Will

rlabanski 11-09-2007 05:00 PM

I highly reccommend a full size spare too. I guess I have been fortunate in my 20-year driving career that I have always had a full sized spare until I got my Astro van last summer. I had to put the compact spare on the right front and that was indeed the one of the worst driving experiences ever! Needless to say I went to the junkyard and got a full sized wheel the next day.